Avanti gas range oven dead

asenada

Premium Member
Model
DG201BS
Brand
Hi, I have an avanti DG201BS. the broiler and burners work fine. But oven doesn't light. Is it most likely a dead oven burner? bad thermocouple? both? other?

Thanks!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The problem is most likely the bake igniter. I've seen and worked on their refrigerators before but not the gas ranges so I'm not sure what style igniter they use. If it uses a spark type igniter for bake, you want to look for the spark generated by the igniter. If you don't see the spark, the problem could be the spark module or the igniter. If it's the glow coil style, look for the igniter to glow red. If it is glowing red but the bake burner won't light, it's probably bad and needs to be replaced because it's not drawing enough amps to open the gas valve. If it's not glowing red, check it for continuity and then see if it's getting 120 VAC. Avanti's not exactly a popular brand. They make a lot of smaller compact appliances. I haven't been able to find any service information for Avanti appliances and I don't know where to link you for parts either. I can help you figure out the problem and maybe they have a number where you can get parts.

asenada

Premium Member
I called Avanti and they said to replace the thermocouple, so bought one of those (should be a few days til I get it). here's the specs: avantiproducts.com/parts/dg201bs_exp__parts_list.pdf
I see there's an ignitor too. probably should have ordered that along with the thermocouple?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
No, I doubt you messed up, I just don't know what type of system Avanti uses. A thermocouple will generate millivolts to hold a valve open but it needs heat to do that. I've looked for a schematic on that model without any luck. Hopefully the thermocouple will fix it. Keep us posted.

asenada

Premium Member
No, I doubt you messed up, I just don't know what type of system Avanti uses. A thermocouple will generate millivolts to hold a valve open but it needs heat to do that. I've looked for a schematic on that model without any luck. Hopefully the thermocouple will fix it. Keep us posted.
Guess I'm out $8. Couldn't get the thing apart - screws all baked on. Not happy with it anyway. Not worth the effort.

Thanks though!