AWN432SP111TW01 Speed Queen washer stopped working mid-cycle

GregL65

Premium Member
Model Number
AWN432SP111TW
Brand
Speed Queen
I have a Speed Queen washing machine model AWN432SP111TW01, serial 1110013649.

It's been working fine for years and we had never had any trouble with it, but today it stopped mid-cycle, and won't turn back on.

I tested another device in the same electrical socket and it worked fine. I ran an extension cord from an electrical socket in another room which was working fine and connected the washer to it, but still nothing.

I looked in the user guide troubleshooting section under "Won't Start". I have tried everything there. One of the suggestions there is to give it a few minutes for the motor overload protector to reset; I have given it hours.

The user guide does not mention a fuse in the washer.

I opened up the control panel area of the washer and looked for a fuse but did not find one. There was a sheet in there with a schematic. I scoured it for a fuse but it did not mention one.

I looked all over in there for anything that looked burned or otherwise damaged, or loose, etc. Everything looks as good as new and all connections seem tight.

Any suggestions on what I can try?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Greg,

I don't see any fuse on this model.

Check for 120 volts where the power cord comes into the washer. If you get 120 volts, then remove the electrical connector that goes into the timer and check for 120 volts where the power comes into the timer.

If you get 120 volts into the timer and nothing works, then the timer is bad.

Here's the timer for your model:
SpeedQueen 38881P TIMER

Jake

GregL65

Premium Member
Thanks, I checked the voltage on the incoming wires and it was about 121V.

On the timer, the voltage on the incoming power wires was about 48V.

Someone else had suggested checking the lid switch. I tried shorting out the lid switch connections, and that made it work. So I believe I have a bad lid switch.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Greg, that would be the culprit then.

Here's the lid switch assembly for your model you can order:
37631 Assy, Unbalance Load/lid

Let us know how it goes after you replace it.

Jake

GregL65

Premium Member
Thanks, but when I told them I needed a lid switch for a Speed Queen AWN432SP111TW01, they pointed me to this:

https://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-switch-lid-wp27001095-ap6007471.html

I asked why a Whirlpool part and they said Speed Queen was "under" Whirlpool (owned by??) and assured me it was the correct part. It does look like the part I shorted out in the washer's panel, though hard to tell from the photos.

The one you referenced looks completely different, but I like the much lower price. Did they steer me wrong?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes that is just the lid switch, but look at the price at $30.32

The lid switch assembly is only $10.28 which includes that same switch.:)

You can save $20 ordering the lid switch assembly I posted the link to it above.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

GregL65

Premium Member
Thanks, I was able to cancel the order. I placed a new order for the assembly you suggested. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Greg, sounds good.:)

Jake