• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

AWN542SP111TW Can you guys give some basic advice on a Speed Queen

proton32176

Premium Member
Model Number
AWN542SP111TW
Brand
Speed Queen
I know you guys don't list this but Speed Queens are exactly like the old mechanical belt driven washers in the 60's and 70's.
My question is basic, it is simply a belt slipping during the spin cycle even though I just replaced the belt and the idler arm this afternoon.
If you guys would be willing to listen to my problem I would appreciate it.
Like I said, it is not malfunction I just can't figure out what to do about this.
And I am sure you guys have worked on hundreds of old belt driven washing machines just like this one.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm not understanding what the problem is.

Explain in detail the reason you replaced the belt and idler pulley.:)

Jake

proton32176

Premium Member
Hey Jake,
It's been a long time since I needed your help.
Last week my wife came to me and said the cloths were still sopping wet after the spin cycle.
It's on the 542 Speed Queen Washer we bought about 10 years ago.
I looked it up and a new belt and idler pulley kit seemed to be the answer so I ordered it and installed it yesterday.
And to be honest it just about killed me and took all day.
I admire your profession, trying to get that belt on in a cramped space and only by feel was a nightmare.

After I finished I had her run a load and she said it was perfect. Then after a second load she said the clothes were soaking wet like before.
And I thought, " Oh Lord, I don't want to mess with this thing again".

The first thing I did was wire a few links of the idler puller spring together so it would create more tension on the belt since it was obvious it was slipping again.

Then I started thinking about the whole thing being a greasy mess after I finished it to a point I had to wipe the whole machine down with Greased Lightning.
I figured maybe I got some grease on the belt while I was fumbling around under the machine and not being able to see what I was doing and maybe that was why a brand new belt was slipping.

( This is the part where you will roll your eyes and think I am an idiot)

I didn't want to take it apart again and clean the belt and the pulleys since it was so hard to get to and if the belt did have grease on it I would probably get it all over it again. So what I did was get a rag and soak it in Paint thinner and while it was on the wash cycle ( the belt runs slower) I got up under the machine and squeezed the belt while it was running and let it run through the Paint Thinner soaked rag.
I did this several times and figured the belt running through a Paint Thinner soaked rag would remove any grease from both the belt and the pulleys if there was really any.
And it apparently it worked because she said it spun fine after that and has continued to run fine through 5 more loads.

I guess my question is I still have the idler pulley spring fixed so it is putting more tension on the idler pulley and the belt than was originally intended. It is only about 1/3rd tighter than it was before I messed with it.

The machine works fine now and is not making any unusual noises.
My question is making the spring tighter going to mess something up in the long run and should I let it go back to the original tension after cleaning the belt or is it more a matter of, " If it is working and not making any unusual noises leave it alone".

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then I started thinking about the whole thing being a greasy mess after I finished it to a point I had to wipe the whole machine down with Greased Lightning.
Where did the grease come from? There shouldn't be any grease visible, The transmission has oil in it, is the tranny leaking oil?

Also when its draining raise the drain hose up and watch how fast the water is coming out, it should be a good strong flow out and the water should all drain from the tub within 90 seconds.

Yes, on these models they spin while draining the water, so you have limited belt slippage until all the water is out of the tub, then it should spin full blast.

Clean all the paint thinner out and reset the idler tension spring back to where it was.

Here's the belt and Idler pulley kit for your model:
SpeedQueen 959P3 Kit,idler Lever

Jake