• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

AWN542SP111TW01 Speed Queen Washer Brake Pads

proton32176

Premium Member
Model Number
AWN542SP111TW01
Brand
Speed Queen
I need some expert advice regarding a Speed Queen Washer.
What this is called is a question to prevent me from getting in over my head and finding out after it is too late.

Speed Queens have what looks like a disk brake assembly below the tub that stops the tub when you open it.

There is a white nylon part in the center that disengages the disks from the rotor when the washer is spinning so the spin cycle will spin free. When you open the lid the motor stops and the nylon part snaps back and the pads fully engage the rotor stopping the tub.

A month or so ago my wife told me the washer was squeaking during the wash cycle. I took the front off and realized the center nylon part that disengages the braking assembly was worn and the pads were dragging slightly on the disk making the squeaking sound.
I bought the new nylon piece and replacing it appears pretty simple.

But while looking at the disk pads I realized they were fairly worn.
Not worn out but worn.
Since the washer will be in my workshop and easy to get to I was thinking about replacing the pads as well as the nylon part that disengages them.
Pretty much preventative maintenance while it is out and easy to get to.

There are three pads, two that are pretty accessible from the front and one in the back.
Now before I get in too deep I have watched a few Speed Queen Washer disassembly videos. But none directly addressed replacing the pads.
The question is if you put spacers to separate the pads from the disk can you replace the back pad without removing the tub?

From what I have seen there is no access from the back of the machine through the cabinet which means removing the top and going down between the cabinet and the tub to get to the third pad or having to remove the entire tub which I am not sure I want to do.

I have been fixing my own appliances for years and I don’t mind removing the tub if it is fairly straight forward. But I don’t want to get myself into something bad after it is too late to get myself out.
The machine is in storage so I haven’t really gotten into it yet which is why I am asking this question first. All I have done is taken the front panel off and looked inside.
So can the back pad be replaced without removing the tub and if not, is removing and replacing the tub a fairly straightforward process?

In other words, disconnecting a few springs and maybe the motor and a few bolts and having it slide out and back in easily.
I don’t mind taking it out if it is straightforward.
But I would rather ask you guys now than get in the middle of something I wished I had left alone.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

proton32176

Premium Member
Jake,
I read it but I am not sure I understand it.
Tell me if this is right.

First, it sounds like you can get access to the rear pad screws by feel.

It sounds like you would remove all the old pads so the transmission spins free.

Then you would lightly grease a pad and line it up with the front pad holes you can get to.
Then you would turn slowly turn the transmission with the new pad in place and as you did the pad would not move in or out but slowly slide to the back in the same relative position until it eventually slid over the rear holes in the back.

Then using an Allen wrench you feel when the holes in the pad are lined up with the back holes the screws go into.
Then you just put the screws in by feel and then replace the two front pads that are easier to see.

Is that correct?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its been more than 15 years since I replaced the brake pads on the Speed Queen and Amana Washers, so I can't remember the exact steps I did to do it.

But, If I remember correctly, I did the back one by feel. Because the service manual says to remove the outer tub assembly to do it, but Its a huge job to do that and very time consuming.

Here's the service manual, on pages 26 and 27 it tells you how:
www.applianceblog.com/manuals/amanawasher.pdf

Jake

proton32176

Premium Member
I read the manual and this sounds like all the makings of my worst nightmare.
If anyone has tried the easier method successfully and can clarify it I would appreciate it.

However taking the entire washer apart to get to pads that are only half worn sounds like far more risk than the potential benefit.

But if someone can confirm the easier way works I would appreciate hearing about it.