• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

B22CS80SNS Bosch Refrigerator - Not cooling properly

cc0

Premium Member
Model Number
B22CS80SNS
Brand
Bosch
Hello,

Can I get help on our issue?

Our refrigerator was replaced by manufacturer in the past, because they could not repair it. It was a nightmare to deal with them, because it took over a year for them to admit the problem. I believe that one of their online sellers supplied this, because the manufacturer did not have it in stock. We were informed that it was new.

However, we heard very loud noise from this refrigerator. We scheduled a repair once but cancelled it, because the noise was not continuous so, upon our experience with them, we thought that they will just deny the problem, unless they hear it during their visit, and, even if they hear it, they will try to get away with it. We just put up with it because we were so tired of dealing with them and we also had to be away most of the time. We stayed in this house only for a few days a year.

Now, we are back in this house and found that food goes bad even from freezer. We put thermostat in the freezer and found that the temp goes up to 30 degrees, when it is set at -11. The manufacturer kept postponed our repair and suggested to have it repaired by 3rd party but we refused and waited, because we always get repairs from manufacturers.

When their tech finally came over and opened the back of the refrigerator, he looked shocked and asked me to take a look. He told me that this could never be new, because it is messed up inside-things are dropped, loose and broken apart, the starter for the compressor is cracked, the freon is leaking and dripping and there isn’t even an access to the freon. Please take a look at the pictures I have attached.

He told me that this is beyond repair. He asked me where I got this so I told him that the manufacturer seemed to get it from an online seller. He told me that, then, he is not that surprised because it was always from that seller, whenever he found something strange during repair. He told me that this might have been a floor model, it could not be new, Something like this should not have been sold and the noise might have come from broken parts when compressor was running.

He gave us an emergency number of the manufacturer. However, the manufacturer offered about $150 discount for their new product and that’s it. They claim that it is out of warranty. This refrigerator was our biggest investment of $2500 and we cannot afford new.

What should we do about this? Are we also safe to live in this house with freon leak like this?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 54

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I can't see much from the pictures but it looks like the side cover just came off the inverter. R-134a refrigerant is not harmful or dangerous. Most machines use less then 10 ounces. I can't see the leak in the pictures. How does he know there's a refrigerant leak? Did he connect a set of refrigeration gauges to the system?
He told me that this is beyond repair.
I don't understand what part is beyond repair. I repair refrigerant leaks all the time. I see a total of 4 crimps in one or two copper lines so I don't know what that's all about.
told me that this might have been a floor model, it could not be new,
A floor model is set to sales mode so basically only the lights turn on. Whether or not it was new I can't say. If it was sold as new then it probably is new. Manufactures face stiff penalties for selling used as new.
Something like this should not have been sold and the noise might have come from broken parts when compressor was running.
I don't think he is qualified to say something should or should not be sold. This is just his opinion. Like I mentioned earlier, I don't see any broken parts other than maybe the side of the inverter. That wouldn't affect the operation of the compressor.
At this point I think he's telling you what he thinks you want to hear. JMO I can't follow your description on how you got it. You bought it from an authorized Bosch dealer, and it had a problem under warranty so Bosch replaced it because it couldn't be fixed? Online sellers??
Here's what I can tell you about warranty. All machines have a one year warranty. If your refrigerator is repaired under warranty the warranty doesn't reset to day 1. If it's replaced with a new machine that new machine has one year warranty. After the first year that's it. It doesn't matter if it didn't work from day one. If you didn't give them a chance to repair it during that first year either because they were difficult to deal with or no one was home most of the year and it goes over the first year, too bad. The manufacturer is no longer responsible for any repairs.

cc0

Premium Member
Hi,

I appreciate your explanation and opinion very much. I understand that we can have different opinions. However, it is an insult to hear that the tech told me what he thought that I wanted to hear. Some of our family members were very sick so that is why we had to be away for a long time and I came back home to take a rest now. This is the least of the problems that I want to have at this point. As you may have guessed, I do not have any knowledge of appliances. It was Bosch’s own tech. I cannot imagine why their tech would say something like that but I appreciated it, because I thought that he was being honest.

I have attached a picture of parts that the tech took out from the refrigerator. He told me that this could have caused the noise, while compressor was running. I do not know what it is. I also do not know how he found freon leak. I asked him to take the pictures for me and I was cleaning my house, because, even if I watch what he does, I would not know what he does. Of course, my intention was repairing the refrigerator.

There was a delay to receive the replacement unit in the past and Bosch informed me that they would not able to provide the replacement soon, because they do not have it in stock. I searched online and found that this dealer had it in stock. I asked Bosch how their dealer has it in stock but Bosch cannot provide. Bosch provided the unit right after so I always thought that they got it from this dealer. I said, “online seller” because, at that time, I have not seen many Bosch dealers selling Bosch product online but they did. After the tech left, I searched online about this dealer and there were several complaints that they sold defective units.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 38

cc0

Premium Member
Do any of you know where I can get inspection of this refrigerator to find out whether this was new and how things could have damaged inside? I would like to get the inspection who will not have bias and Bosch can respect. I asked Bosch to send someone but they refused. I called our home inspector but I heard that home inspectors do not inspect this kind.

I appreciate your help in advance.

rickgburton

Staff member
The two pieces in your picture are from the plastic case around the inverter board on the side of the compressor. The inverter case being broken would not affect the cooling in any way. Nor would it interfere with any of the refrigeration operation. It most definitely would not cause a refrigeration leak.
He told me that this could have caused the noise,
He's wrong. those pieces could not have caused the noise. The inverter board controls the compressor and the case just protects the board. The board doesn't look damaged.
I also do not know how he found freon leak.
I don't either. I don't see a service valve installed and without a service valve you can't connect refrigeration gauges. You can't determine if there's a refrigerant leak without connecting a set of refrigeration gauges.
Do any of you know where I can get inspection of this refrigerator to find out whether this was new
Let me get this straight; You're looking for someone that can tell you if that machine was new 6 years ago ???
it is an insult to hear that the tech told me what he thought that I wanted to hear.
It wasn't meant as an insult. I probably should have finished my thought however. I've been doing service calls on appliances for 35 years and I've seen it all. From what you're telling me about this guy and his diagnosis of the trouble I seriously doubt his ability of doing any repairs. He's telling you anything you want to hear so he can get out of there without doing any repairs. He knows you're upset with Bosch so he puts all the blame on Bosch and then tells you it can't be repaired. How much did that cost you? And like I said earlier, it's just my opinion.
even if I watch what he does, I would not know what he does.
You would know if gauges were connected, you would know if parts were removed, you would know if a meter was use or if parts were tested. You may not know how to read the gauges or a meter but you would certainly know if they were used.

cc0

Premium Member
Hello, I appreciate your explanation very much. No, I did not tell the tech about the trouble I had with Bosch. I think he was rather blaming the dealer, not Bosch, and I was shocked to hear that there was freon leak and it cannot be repaired so I could not think of complaining about Bosch at that time. As far as I remember, he came to our house to repair our dishwasher long time ago and he did a neat job so I think that I trusted him more, I guess.

However, after his visit, strangely, the noise became much better, it seems that the compressor runs more often, and the temp does not go up to 30 degree anymore but it goes down to -30 degree. I called Bosch because I was worried that it may be overworking now so I was worried about fire. (Again, I do not have any knowledge of appliances.) They told me that they will get back to me but I have not heard from them.

I understand that it may not be possible to find whether this was new before. However, I would like to find out why there are broken parts. Do you know anyone that I can have this consultation?

rickgburton

Staff member
... the noise became much better, it seems that the compressor runs more often, and the temp does not go up to 30 degree anymore but it goes down to -30 degree.
Grandpa once told me, when you're up to your ass in alligators, you can easily forget that the main objective was to drain the swamp...LOL Let's forget about all the history on your refrigerator and concentrate on fixing you machine. Sound good?
Give me good description of what your refrigerator is doing or not doing. If the freezer can reach -30°F there's no leak. Is the fan in the freezer working? Is the fan by the compressor working? I don't understand what you mean "does not go up to up to 30 but goes to -30?? Is everything freezing? Is the machine plugged in and running now?