• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

B22CT80SNS01 Bosch refrigerator leaking when water is off

KeepItCool

Premium Member
Model Number
B22CT80SNS01
Brand
Bosch
Hello. We have had this fridge for over 5 years. Anytime we leave the house for more than 1 day I have always shut the water off at the main. We have never had an issue. Recently we left for a few days, I shut the water off, and our refrigerator leaked a puddle on the floor and damaged our hardwood floor. Just left again this week, shut the main off, drained the water, and it leaked again onto the floor. Unfortunately our dog sitter didn’t see it sooner in both cases.

The water appears to be coming from the front of the refrigerator. I don’t see any water damage underneath the refrigerator. Any idea what is happening?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The evaporator has a defrost heater around it. Every 8-12 hours it turns on and melts the frost off the evaporator coils. The water drips into a drain pan and drains out by the compressor. If the drain hole is blocked the water freezes in the drain pan and builds up until the water has no place to go except the floor of the freezer. When that builds up it runs out the door and every 8-12 hours you end up with a puddle on the floor.

KeepItCool

Premium Member
The evaporator has a defrost heater around it. Every 8-12 hours it turns on and melts the frost off the evaporator coils. The water drips into a drain pan and drains out by the compressor. If the drain hole is blocked the water freezes in the drain pan and builds up until the water has no place to go except the floor of the freezer. When that builds up it runs out the door and every 8-12 hours you end up with a puddle on the floor.
But this only happens when the main house water supply has been shut off. If it was a blocked drain wouldn’t this be occurring regardless of the main water supply being turned off?

rickgburton

Staff member
Yes, it would. You say it only leaks when the water supply is turned off so I would look at the water valve where the line connects. or at the shut off valve.

KeepItCool

Premium Member
The first time no. This week, when shut the water off, the night before I also turned the ice maker off by flipping the metal bar inside the ice box up

rickgburton

Staff member
The only place the water line comes to the front of the machine is where it goes into the lower freezer door hinge. There's a coupler there so you can remove the door. It doesn't make sense to me that it would leak there with the water shut off. The only thing I can tell you is to shut off the water supply, wait for it to leak and get a good flashlight and try to find out where.