• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED B36CT80SNS Should my new Bosch fridge be making this noise?

Chewyy

Model Number
B36CT80SNS
Brand
Bosch
Brand new Bosch refrigerator just got installed, and it's making a medium-high pitched pulsing noise when it's running. Is this normal noise for the compressor or fan? It's not super loud, but it's pretty annoying. I'm within my return window to get an exchange, but there's no point if the replacement fridge would sound the same.

Audio clip of the sound: https://clyp.it/33bcvkdw

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

myfridgeisloud2

Premium Member
Hi Chewyy,

I think I ran into your reddit thread as well (considering it has the same audio link). I have the exact same noise/problem as described by you and many others in that reddit thread, and I managed to resolve it myself. Created an account here to share my experience for others that may come across this issue.

Jake, I had a tech came out from "Bosch Factory Service - Los Angeles" and he confirmed the noise is normal, so unfortunately it's not something that Bosch will fix. Others on reddit had the same experience, with one person even returning the unit and finding the replacement to have the same exact noise. With the back panel off, we confirmed the noise was coming from within the compressors, and was not due to any rattling of components external to the compressors.

On the reddit thread, some folks noted that tile floors seemed to be common thread among those with the complaints and that placing a rug or something down helped the sound. Which led me to the fix.

I did some experimentation, and I have completely eliminated the noise using some foam mats from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BKP6KFX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I took the back panel off the fridge, cut out pieces of that foam, and used painters tape to adhere it to the back panel (on the side facing inward towards the compressors). Putting the back panel back on with this foam greatly reduced the noise, though it was still audible.

Next, I cut out a rather large rectangle of the foam, and taped it to the floor beneath the fridge (again with painters tape), approximately where i thought the compressors would sit over when the fridge was in place, but not so wide the wheels would roll over it. I taped all edges for the foam down so it would sit flush and the fridge could easily slide over it, again with the wheels rolling to each side of it. Additionally, this foam is very thin so unlike a rug or something it did not restrict airflow.

After both these steps and rolling the fridge back into its nook, i was shocked, absolutely no noise unless i put my ear to the fridge. I wasn't expecting this much of a difference, but I am so happy now. This noise was so annoying since the fridge is right next to our TV (small condo) and the ringing/rattling every 5 minutes was challenging my sanity.

I hope this helps someone else out there, let me know if you or anyone else tries and sees any success.

myfridgeisloud2

Premium Member
Updated with image of compressor, model TKA68E23DNHA. Couldn't find this model in my searches, but a similar one TKA68E23DAHA shows up on the panasonic site.

The close up compressor is the fridge unit which is MUCH louder than the freezer one. Both same model number but hooked up to a different evap system.

Update with noise, i have heard it perk up a bit so not a perfect solution oh well. Also, my fridge is a /06 revision, december build, china made. I wonder if the older or newer revisions don't have issues since a lot of reviews say completely quiet. Unfortunate it is so noisy and loud.

Attachments

• compressorblurred.png
    compressorblurred.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 233
  • both compressors blurred.png
    both compressors blurred.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 146

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's good to know!

Thanks for the added information, that will help others too.(y)

Jake

myfridgeisloud2

Premium Member
Hopefully it helps someone, thanks for making a forum for this stuff!

I really want to see some other samples of the fridge to see if there are any quiet ones out there. I'm wondering if I got a newer sample (this was a december production run) if it would be any different. The noise has still been bothering me so trying some more aggressive foam and acoustic panels in the nook. Usually never cared about fridge noise, got a super loud mini fridge that buzzes and its all good, but this high pitched rattle for some reason gets to me.

Has it been your experience Jake that modern inverter compressors make this rattling noise? It sounds like metal pinging on metal which is worrisome, but got a 5 year warranty with them so if it does die hopefully it does it before then!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member