Bearing and drum mount problem

wylidog

Premium Member
Whirlpool model# WFW9150WW00

Here is the deal on the vibration problems with Duet washers beside the fact they are terribly built. Ours was barely out of warranty when the biggest problems started. The bearings on the drum shaft are cheap Chinese bearings. they WILL fail . When they do the seal will also start to leak which makes the bearings break down further to the point of complete failure. I replaced the bearings with high quality stainless steel bearings and was able to find an after market seal. ( Yes they DO exist ). The problem went away for awhile. After another few months this issue started again and after much further inspection and dismantling I found the drum mounting bracket to be severely cracked. As an engineer I can tell you this was probably cracked since the first repair but I didn't catch it. This crack was caused by the bearing failure. The part is not properly designed and is a little involved to get to so it is not obvious. This is an extremely dangerous issue and Whirlpool should have issued a safety recall. If this mounting bracket fails 100 % during a spin cycle ( 1000rpm ) it could have fatal results. Whirlpool has issued a new part # to the replacement part so I can only assume they know this part is defective and have introduced a new replacement part that may be improved. However I am not aware that Whirlpool has announced they have done so. Whirlpool should be held accountable for this. Once these repairs are made you can also add more shock absorbers to the unit. The mounting areas are there in the machine, there is room for 5-6 but only 3 are installed. I am sure it is to save Whirlpool money. If you are able to make these repairs your machine should be greatly improved.

meggabad

Premium Member
So what were the replacement bearings and seal you used? Also, what is the p/n for the mount you say was broken on yours?

wylidog

Premium Member
I left a ph# in a private message to you if you care to call, I may be able to help you. I will have to get the part#s when I am at my office again Monday Jan 7th or if I find that I have them here at my house I will post them for you. Do you already have the unit disassembled ? If you do check out the 3 armed casting that is mounted to the back of the drum, the shaft the bearings are on is mounted to this casting. Check the casting for ANY cracks , you may want to use a flashlight and magnifying glass. Any crack at all will continue to get bigger over time so be very thorough ! You do not have to take the whole outer tub assembly out to get to this part. You can just remove the back half of the outer tub. You need to remove the motor and a few wires that all have connecters so make sure you note where they go. You should also only have to remove 1 shock off the bottom motor side to get the 1/2tub out. Also take the top support brackets off that are under the cabinet top . The clips that hold the tub together can be taken off with a screw driver. I can do the whole thing in less than 30 minutes so it shouldn't be that bad.