• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Black flecks from icemaker Kenmore Coldspot

bearly1227

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Black flecks on some ice cubes.

Some advice was given in 2006 for a different model, and I wonder if the same advice would work for my model? The advice given was to replace either the mold or the whole ice maker.

Refrigerator and ice maker works just fine. It is 16 years old, but is the part still available?

Is the three screws that easy to replace, or is it more involved than that? I am pretty good with technical mechanical stuff and being careful.

Thanks,[COLOR=#00000]:3:[/COLOR]

Bob

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

bearly1227

Premium Member
Thank You very much. Replacement was a piec of cake - - er - - -ice cream cake as it was still cold.

I think I have another problem now. Since replacing the ice maker (yesterday morning, and reinstalling this morning), it is not making ice as quickly as before with the old maker. I made sure the plastic tubing fitted into the ice maker hole.

Early this morning I had about 7 partial cubes. Like a shell with no contents. The Ice maker for this model is normally slow, but generally makes more ice than that in 24 hours. Is this in anyway normal? Is there an initial "fill" time before ot starts making ice? I don't have the User or Repair guide, so am uncertain as to how much ice per day to expect.

Freezer temperature has been around 10 degrees, so it seems cold enough to make ice.

Thanks,

Robert

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Robert,

Good job installing the new ice maker.

So your getting what sounds like "Hollow" ice cubes now.

Hollow cubes are always a sign of low water pressure to your refrigerator.

First Pull your refrigerator out away from the wall, turn off your water supply line that goes to it, then take off your water supply line from the water inlet valve, then get a bucket, cup, bowl, etc to catch the water, then put your water supply line in the bucket and turn it on, your water stream should be really good with good water pressure, if not then the problem is in your plumbing water supply line.

Let us know how the water pressure is.

A very LARGE problem in the last few years has been the self piercing shut off valve clogging up with calcium and junk! Replace the self piercing shut off valve with a drill type shut off valve. You drill a 1/4" hole into the pipe and install the shut off valve the same way you would with a self piercing valve.

Jake <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

bearly1227

Premium Member
Checked the mainwater valve for the ice maker, and it is not fo the piercing type, but more like what you fidn for sink and sanitary shutoff valves.

The connection at the refrigerator end, showed free flowing aftear a short airgap. I suspect it may have had an air bubble in the line. My ice maker is a bit slow making ice. Today as I checked the half moon cubes (is that an oxymoron?) they were hard as clear ice!! Hallalewyah!!

Thanks you very, very much!!

Robert

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good Robert.:)

Jake

bearly1227

Premium Member
Newish Ice Maker now leaks water over frozen reservoir

Ok sounds good Robert.:)

Jake
We are seasonal users of this refrigerator. Thanks to you, we installed and had the ice maker working just fine, for about a year or so.

This season it is not fine. With the supply water on, the water flows continuously. The reservoir fills, and if left alone (water supply off), it will make cubes. But if left alone, the water fills the ice cube box and then some!

Can the water supply somehow be out of time with the water control mechanism?

Is the fix, the same as if it were very low pressure supply (read that when searching for a clue). It is an older refrigerator, the ice maker model number #4317943. My temporary fix is to fill the ice collection box with bagged ice cubes and leave the water off.

Thank You,

Robert