• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Black scum on bottom of dishwasher

dt21

Model Number
GSM2100G02BB
Brand
GE
I have a GE dishwasher model GSM2100G02BB that sits under our sink. For several months I have noticed black scum on bottom and have (with increasing frequency) been cleaning it out, but it keeps coming back. I have removed the sump cover and sump cap ([parts 506 and 508) and have thoroughly cleaned both of them. It keeps coming back! We had a repairman come out and he said there is nothing wrong with the machine - just clean it once a month (unfortunately my husband was the one home and didn't push the issue). I'd have to clean it once a week at a minimum to keep the scum at bay. It is also causing a fould odor to come up through the sink. They must share pipes?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Make sure the drain hose loops higher than the bottom of the sink before the drain or disposer connection. If it doesn't, water in the sink or whenever the sink is used, can run down the drain hose and into the dishwasher. Use a dishwasher cleaner to clean out any soap or hard water build up inside the pump. Start the machine on a normal wash cycle. Make sure the machine is empty and don't add any soap. Listen for the water fill cycle to stop then open the door and check the water level. Close the door and let the machine go into the wash cycle. Wait about 1.5 - 2 minutes then open the door. If there is soap bubbles on the water, cut back on the amount of soap you're using.
Cleaner W10282479 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Cleaner-W10282479-01462274.jpg