• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Bosch Float Switch Stuck in UP

keriklein

Premium Member
I have a Bosch SHV 4300 series dishwasher. Recently my kitchen sink (through the disposal) was clogged and somehow contributed to the water backing up and not draining in the dishwasher - about 2 - 3 inches. We noticed when we opened the dishwasher to remove the dishes. After the clog was repaired in the sink/disposal, the dishwasher drained and I thought all was fine. However, there is no water now going into the dishwasher. It runs - just no water goes in. Motor just runs and runs. We have checked the water line - it is open and running. Checked the hose under the dishwasher which also appears to be receiving water. From reading the other threads - I believe the problem is my float switch is stuck in the UP position. Does this sound correct? If so - how do I get to it. Tried going in through the bottom, and through the front panel (on bottom of front). Not sure what looking for or how to get to it. Any suggestions? The model # is SHU9915UC.

thanks!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I have a Bosch SHV 4300 series dishwasher

The model # is SHU9915UC

Huh?

If you have the SHU9915UC....Still missing the last digits....

believe the problem is my float switch is stuck in the UP position. Does this sound correct? If so - how do I get to it.

A possability yes....remove the d/w and remove the left ( facing the unit ) side panal to access the float and float switch.

If water got into the base the float may be tripped as well.

jeff.

keriklein

Premium Member
A possability yes....remove the d/w and remove the left ( facing the unit ) side panal to access the float and float switch.

Is this a job for your average person...or is it time for a repair person?

keriklein

Premium Member
The repair person just left and I've learned I could've done this job. What I needed to do was remove the front of the dishwasher door, and the black panel on the bottom front. Then, I needed to remove all of the water inside the very, very bottom of the dishwasher. I had removed all the water inside the cup in the bottom of the dishwasher (where the filter is located) and that was all the water I needed to remove to get it to reset. Once the repair person vacuamed out all the water - closed the door and it immediately began to work properly. Just a FYI for anyone out there who experiences the same problem. Relatively simple fix I definitely could've done myself.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Then, I needed to remove all of the water inside the very, very bottom of the dishwasher.

The base was full of water then....that will trip the float switch :(

Glad your up and running again :)

jeff.

Gail

This was exactly our problem--disposer block cleared, then Bosch dishwasher would only pump out, not fill. We really appreciated all the advice on the blog. Tried the 2 liters of water to "trick" the dishwasher--didn't work. Were resigned to having to pull the dishwasher, which wasn't going to be easy (it's "below grade" because it's a retrofit that the oak floor boards abut, rather than underlying. ANYWAY, in all the prying up with screwdrivers and jostling around just to get the kickplate off, the float must have jiggled free. We tried it one last time, and Voila! Maybe this will help someone else. I hope so!

jeng

Hi Jeff1 -

I'm having this same problem and like Gail, I had a hardwood floor put in and the dishwasher is "below grade" as she puts it. I can't pull the dishwasher out to access the side panel. How do I remove the door to access the front panel? Or is there a way for me to remove the kickplate without removing the door?

Thanks!

Jeff, too

waynedude

Premium Member
The repair person just left and I've learned I could've done this job. What I needed to do was remove the front of the dishwasher door, and the black panel on the bottom front. Then, I needed to remove all of the water inside the very, very bottom of the dishwasher. I had removed all the water inside the cup in the bottom of the dishwasher (where the filter is located) and that was all the water I needed to remove to get it to reset. Once the repair person vacuamed out all the water - closed the door and it immediately began to work properly. Just a FYI for anyone out there who experiences the same problem. Relatively simple fix I definitely could've done myself.

Thank you for this info!!! I had the same problem. When the on/off switch was on, the drain motor just kept running, and it would not do anything else. I guessed it was the float switch or something like that. I tried pouring water in and the pump just pumped it out (confirming the drain pipe wasn't clogged). I then removed the filter from the bottom of the wash chamber, and tried drying out the pit under the filter. I completely dried out the pit, but alas no change. I then removed the black panel below the door (2 screws) and felt around (it was a white plastic assembly across most of the front) (caution the power connection is on the right side, turn off the breaker first). In the center of the white plastic part, I reached my finger over the top, and there were two open pits, both with water in them. I put a wad of paper towels in each, and pulled it out until both pits were dry (this was probably what the repair persons vacuum achieved). I then powered it back up, and silence, no more continuous drain running! I pushed the cycle button, and it started up as normal.

You just saved me a repair charge (and probably unnecessary repair parts). I am so happy! :)

Clay2008

Premium Member
Jeff,

Several folks mention that by vacuuming out the water in the pan, the problem is fixed. Won't the water just fill up again causing the same problem? What is the cause for the water in the pan on these Bosch dishwashers? Leak? Likely source?

I can fix it

Premium Member
Keep in mind, when water backs up into a bosch it usually leaks into the base activating the float sw, causing it to only drain, all you have to do is take the toe panel off, take a turkey baster and suck the water out till the float is all the way down again, or a dish towel, it's hard to get in the base, not much space, but I do it all the time.

holsen

Great Info

The Problem described here is EXACTLY the same as my problem. Backed up sink / disposal / pump runs / no water.

Here's my question:
Can anyone give some guidance on how to remove the diswasher door?

I've got the black panel off but I cant get to the float with the door on. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated!

I can fix it

Premium Member
Whoa! Don't take door off, if your sink is backing up, the dw washer isn't the problem, solve the plumbing issue and dw will be fine. There is a small space on bottom left where wtr vlv is, pull insulation out and get wtr out, the float is back 6 in on the left bottom too. You don't wanta take door off. You can take outer door off for more room. Open door and there are t15 torx screws on inner stainless door, it will free outer door panel, but your opening a can a worms, it's tricky getting back on.

I can fix it

Premium Member
The bosch drain hose doesn't have a ck vlv to prevent wtr backing up into if sink/disposal is backing up. BUT, IF THAT IS NOT ISSUE, 90 percent of the time I've found the water vlv is defective, it's letting too much wtr in and it leaks out the inlet assy on left side of dw which is where the float is located. Which is the easiest repair on a bosch.

Mr_Chris

I know this is a super old post but wanted to say this was a lifesaver! We had the same issue with our Bosch SHU3036UC dishwasher where first there was a bunch of water collecting in the main "tray" under the filter (which was due to a backed up disposal not letting the water drain and a bad check valve allowing water back in) which I assume allowed water into the "tray" under the dishwasher. From there the dishwasher would turn on and drain but never run - the intake pump would just run on and on with no water. I thought it was a bad float and as soon as I got the side panel off I could see the water collected in the bottom which pushed up on the float sensor stick. Anyway, drained the water (I wish I had a vacuum, I had to do it by hand :( ), put it back together and boom, worked like a charm!