• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Bosch Refrigerator B36CT81SNS water leaking from under appliance.

boschowner22

Premium Member
Model Number
B36CT81SNS
Brand
Bosch
We've had the refrigerator for almost 4 months now. I've only moved the refrigerator out from the wall a couple times to grab something/clean something. Both times I noticed some water that traveled on our tile grout line (left side of fridge). It would make it's way to the front of the fridge and settle until it eventually dried or cleaned up. I read that it can be normal for the water to slosh around in the drain pan. A couple days ago I had to pull the fridge out to grab something and the same thing happened. I dried it and it stayed dry for a good while but about 24 hours later I noticed the same puddle on the grout line. This obviously is NOT normal and I would have noticed this in the past during normal everyday use. There isn't much information on the "new" Bosch refrigerators. The salesman at Pacific Sales said this year was Bosch's first year at making their refrigerators in house as opposed to outsourcing. I've always heard good things about Bosch so I decided to give them a go. Given that this is still under the manufacturer's warranty I'd rather not mess with it myself. I even bought the 5 year extended warranty from Best Buy just in case because I've read that refrigerators need the most repairs out of any appliance.

Any idea of what the problem may be? I have very little knowledge of how refrigerators operate. Should I obviously call Bosch to have a tech come out?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Should I obviously call Bosch to have a tech come out?
Absolutely. If you attempt a repair you risk losing your warranty. Can you tell where the water is coming from? There shouldn't be that much water in the drain pan. Nothing comes up with that model number. Can you recheck it for me? Thanks!

boschowner22

Premium Member
Absolutely. If you attempt a repair you risk losing your warranty. Can you tell where the water is coming from? There shouldn't be that much water in the drain pan. Nothing comes up with that model number. Can you recheck it for me? Thanks!
Yes that is the correct model number. It looks like it’s coming from the bottom of the unit about 6 inches from the left edge and about a foot and a half back from the front of the unit. I only have about an inch to look underneath the unit with a flashlight. That’s my best guess. Could it be from somewhere else and traveling to that spot? Yes.

I left this morning with the water still sitting there and just got home and everything is dry. I’m wondering if this has been happening for some time and I just noticed it now?

rickgburton

Staff member
The salesman at Pacific Sales said this year was Bosch's first year at making their refrigerators in house
Bosch predominantly manufactures its appliances in North Carolina. However, Bosch 36" refrigerators are built to their specifications by an appliance company in China.
that is the correct model number.
Maybe it's too new. I can't find any information on that model so I don't know how everything is laid out.
Could it be from somewhere else and traveling to that spot?
Are there any water lines in that area? Water likes to travel down water lines and the drip off at the lowest spot. Try turning the ice maker off and don't use the dispenser for 24 hours. If the leak doesn't show up, look at the water valve and water lines as possible suspects.
I read that it can be normal for the water to slosh around in the drain pan.
There shouldn't be that much water that it can slosh around. The only water that goes into the drain pan is from the frost on the evaporator when the machine goes into a defrost cycle. It shouldn't be more than about a 1/2 cup of water.

boschowner22

Premium Member
Thank you for all of the info! There is an internal water dispenser on the inside left of the fridge. There is an auto ice maker in the freezer. No external on the door. We honestly love the fridge and hope this isn’t a big issue.

After about 30 minutes on hold I was able to schedule something with a Bosch tech for a couple weeks out. Can you comment on how good Bosch’ techs and customer service are?

rickgburton

Staff member
Can you comment on how good Bosch’ techs and customer service are?
Bosch doesn't have any techs. Bosch usually farms out their warranty repairs to a local appliance repair company that's Bosch authorized. Customer service for any manufacturer is basically for setting up service calls. They can't help with any repairs. Some have a copy of the owner's manual and can usually answer anything that's in there.

rickgburton

Staff member
Don't misunderstand me, Bosch machines are good machines. Appliance repair companies that do warranty work for a major manufacturer have to be good companies. They can't get the warranty work unless they have a good reputation.

boschowner22

Premium Member
Don't misunderstand me, Bosch machines are good machines. Appliance repair companies that do warranty work for a major manufacturer have to be good companies. They can't get the warranty work unless they have a good reputation.
Well, it was dry for like 24 hours or so and then my wife cleaned out the freezer for about 2 minutes and I noticed it about 30 minutes later. Another little puddle.