• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Bosch SHX33A05UC - Filled with water, won't start, just clicks

jeff2486

Premium Member
Model Number
SHX33A05UC
Brand
Bosch
I have a Bosch SHX33A05UC. I've owned my house for 5 years, but based on the serial number the unit appears to be around 17 years old (serial number: FD8510 00546)!

We've never had any issues with it, but yesterday it was beeping indicating the cycle was over. The dishes looked mostly clean, but as I began to unload I saw the bottom was filled with water that had not drained. It looks relatively clean, but my first instinct was to run another cycle since I didn't know if the dishes were actually cleaned properly. That didn't result in anything happening.

Next, I bailed out the water and followed instructions I found online to clean the propeller and the backflow to make sure nothing was blocking. There was some small debris, but nothing major blocking.

When I try to run the unit now it will start filling up with water (and do some small drainage pumps - which I can see flow in the garbage disposal), making multiple clicking noises and then just stop. It will then result in the bottom being full of water again and I need to bail it out to get it empty.

So, it seems like it is not draining properly, but it also seems like it will not run/circulate after water enters at the beginning of the cycle. Is this a coincidence that both things aren't working at once, or is there something causing this that might be able to be easily fixed? I'm not particularly handy, but I'm willing to try some reasonable steps. If there is anything major, I'm thinking of just buying a new unit because of the age of this one. It seems like it will be about $1,000 to purchase, have installed, and the old one hauled away vs. spending probably a minimum of a few hundred on someone repairing the unit.

Thanks for anyone willing to help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jeff,

I don't have any training or experience working on Bosch products or I could help you.

You're probably better off buying a new dishwasher since yours is 17 years old now and if you replace the circulation pump, another part will eventually go out, sooner rather than later.

Jake

jeff2486

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake. That was what I was thinking, but nice to have someone experienced with appliances echo it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help!

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.