• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Brand New GE JGB660DPWW: What Would You Do?

troublelaurak

Premium Member
Model Number
JGB660DPWW
Brand
GE
Last Wednesday we had this brand new GE range installed. Looks great. Range top works great. Two days later, we tried out the oven for the first time, and it wouldn't light - igniter came on, but no gas lighting up in the oven. Repairman thought it might be the pilot safety valve, tinkered with it and it lit up. When he turned it off and tried it again, it wouldn't work, so he came back today with a new pilot safety valve. That did not fix the problem, so he's coming back in two days with a new control board.

My question to all of you: What would you do? Would you:
1. Just send the stove back and ask for a new replacement in hopes that you didn't have to replace the parts to get it to work at all?
OR
2. Go ahead with the second repair and hope all would be well ever after?

We did have to pay for the gas hookup (requires a master plumber here) so that is a factor. Help! I'm not sure I trust the darn thing to ever be any good. So disappointed. Thanks, Laura

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If the ignitor is glowing I don't see how the control could be responsible. All it does is send power to the ignitor. If the tech is just guessing I might suggest you try to exchange it and (strongly) ask the dealer or GE to cover the installation costs as it is not your fault. (Just don't hold your breath.)

JMO

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
That model looks to iuse a glow bar (ignitor) ignition system. You can read how they function at this link:

Understanding Gas Oven Ignition Systems

If the ignitor is glowing, the control is doing its job.

Dan O.

troublelaurak

Premium Member
Dan, Thank you - interesting reading and it makes sense. The piece below is exactly what happens:
Ignitor glowing but oven only gets warm

If the ignitor ages and gets 'weak', it is possible for it to glow and generate some warmth in the oven but the oven burner never actually come on to get the oven up to proper temperature. It is also possible for the oven burner to light and heat once but never cycle back on again afterward. The heat generated by the ignitor may keep the oven warm for a while until it is noticed that the oven isn't heating 'right' any longer.

I don't know if the repairman tested the draw of the igniter (upstairs online at my computer for work and my husband didn't ask). Maybe it isn't drawing enough current regularly enough? I won't be home tomorrow when the repairman comes either - my day to go to the actual office. Sigh. I'll call the repair folks today when I get a longer break and ask if they can find out if he's tested the draw or if they can send him with a new igniter. Thank you again!

troublelaurak

Premium Member
Just checked with the repair shop - they replaced the igniter too, although they didn't check the draw first. So, they're thinking is that the control board is the only option...I'm wondering if there is a loose wire or faulty circuit for the communication with the pilot safety valve.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
troublelaurak said:
I'm wondering if there is a loose wire or faulty circuit for the communication with the pilot safety valve.

It would have to be quick, intermittent power outages or the ignitor wouldn't glow. I've never heard of such an occurrence. It would have been detected for certain if an amperage test was performed.

Let us know how you make out.

Dan O.

troublelaurak

Premium Member
OK - posting to let everyone know the final outcome. While I was at work, my husband stayed to deal with the repairman. Further testing by the dealer showed that the igniter would turn on, but when it was going to light the gas, the igniter shut off. I have to say, I never ay the igniter shut off or stop glowing when I tried it, but I wasn't there, so I can't say what the repairman actually told my husband. (Note: these observations were made without plugging in a computer to diagnose the issue.) Repairman believed it suggested a short circuit. Igniter was replaced and same thing happened. Control board replaced and, as you suggested, made no difference. By this time, I was fed up. GE wanted to send another repair person out (not the one from our dealer) who was to plug a computer in to the stove to diagnose the problem. Although that might have been helpful at the beginning, I was running out of patience since it would be another week before they could make the service call. When I asked GE what they thought the computer would show that would be fixable, they could not give me an answer. The people they wanted to send have multiple BBB complaints. So, I said no - I insisted they replace the unit. (If they want to fix it and resell it, good luck to them, I don't want it to be my problem any longer.)

GE agreed, and the new stove was installed on Friday afternoon. The dealer also took care of the expenses for the gas installation. Everything works fine on this range. Hooray! GE has given me an extra year of warranty to make sure we're covered if this one also has a gremlin of some sort. Fingers crossed this range will keep working. I have to say, it heats up quickly, cooks well on the range top - all seems to be very nice.

Thanks for all of your help Dan. Best, Laura

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Thanks for the followup.

Dan O.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.