• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Brand New KDFM404KPS KitchenAid Dishwasher leaks on left side when opening door

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanselman

Premium Member
Model Number
KDFM404KPS
Brand
KitchenAid
Today, just installed a brand new KDFM404KPS KitchenAid dishwasher that we purchased from Lowes. It does not leak while it is running, but when I open the door soon after the wash cycle is completed (heat dry is not on), it leaks a small amount of water on the left side. The rubber seal appear to be in their proper place and I also checked level. Anyone have any suggestions?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very odd, I've never seen that happen before.

You will need to contact KitchenAid at 1-800-422-1230 to come out under warranty to fix it for you for free.

Let us know what they find, I'm very curious.

Jake

hanselman

Premium Member
Update: For the first time, we filled the dishwasher with dirty dishes and ran it without the heat dry setting on and it did NOT leak when we opened the door after the wash has completed. Besides having added dishes, the only other difference is that I used the normal wash setting, not the tough setting.

I now have other thoughts as to what may have caused the leaks. Maybe the water was always with the dishwasher since the factory did their quality checks and testing? And when laying the new dishwasher on its side in order to hook up the hoses and remove packaging, could this have caused the water to shift to a place that allowed it to leak when placed upright again? Also, since there is a vent on the left side of the door, I wonder if the water is from condensation due to our humid weather in the Atlanta area.

I will post back after a few more tests with and without dishes. Maybe I'll even post our humidity levels. And I will contact KitchenAid if necessary.

Oh, one more thing. I almost forgot to mention this. Before the last wash, I also loosened or slightly raised the front left foot almost one full turn because I could not lift the dishwasher under the countertop in order to slide a sheet of paper under it. It was already level and I doubt that it was enough to make a difference. But I think it is still worth mentioning nonetheless. I am using a sheet of paper to help identify the leaks because it is not always easy to detect the leak on our wood floor as the water immediately soaks into the wood. We have hardwood floors in our home and kitchen. Not sure having hardwood floors are a good idea for kitchens as I think they are vulnerable to water leaks, but I digress.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Yes, keep us posted.

Jake

hanselman

Premium Member
Update: No more leaks occurred even when running a full wash without any dishes using the Tough setting. And I do not see how condensation could have been a factor since it is using hot water. The only logical explanation that comes to my mind is that the original leak came from water that may have already been in the dishwasher from the factory prior to unboxing or I may have unknowingly opened the door during a spray or wash cycle while playing with the diagnostic mode (which is a nice feature for service technicians). And the latter is an easy mistake to make since the machine is quiet.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The only logical explanation that comes to my mind is that the original leak came from water that may have already been in the dishwasher from the factory prior to unboxing or I may have unknowingly opened the door during a spray or wash cycle while playing with the diagnostic mode (which is a nice feature for service technicians).
That sounds logical to me too.:)

Glad the leak is gone.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.