• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Broan Range Hood Evolution 3 QP3 Series - Fan does not want to turn off

Opihi59

Premium Member
Model Number
QP3
So how about Range Hoods? I have a Broan Evolution 3 series range hood my wife is convinced that it is possessed. However, I don't find an area for range hoods or range hood problems--not under stoves/ranges, or HVAC.

If a mod could point me to the right sub-forum, I'll describe the issues and ask for help on this.

QP330SS is full model number, just found it.......

Last edited:

Opihi59

Premium Member
Well, since there have been 55 views so far, and no one has told me I'm a knucklehead for posting in the wrong section, here's the deal: I don't seem to have much control over the fan. If it is turned on, it doesn't seem to want to be turned off. There is a "temperature sensor" function to it, in that it will not show down unless you hold the button down, but I've never had what seems to be like any control over that despite making sure I'm familiar w the operation of this via memorizing the owner's manual. This lack of ability to shut the thing off once turned on has deteriorated to having the thing come on by itself (completely arbitrary) and then surging speeds/slowing as if possessed. Eventually it will shut itself off, but this is very annoying. This thing is really just a few years old, and since it was so irritating to operate, really the only function we used on it was the lights. Cost around $1000 here, so I was reluctant to throw it out and get something different. Broan no longer makes this particular model, they've moved on to the Series 4 Evolution model, though I see parts are available. I'm not willing to throw parts at it, and hoping that perhaps someone can tell me how to diagnose this further, and if it needs a new board, or control panel, then I can replace just that part.
I chose that model at the time since it really looked nice, seemed to be a high end product so I thought it would be very durable, and of course, complement the very extreme high end remodel I did of our kitchen that I'll still be paying for for a few years.......

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You posted in the right forum.

But I don't have a clue what's wrong without seeing the service manual first.

If any techs out there can shed some light on this or post the service manual then we can troubleshoot it, but without the service manual we are dead in the water.

Jake

Opihi59

Premium Member
Thank for the input, Jake. I'm hoping we hear from some techs soon then. Wife is somehow annoyed w me rather than at the range hood, and I'd like to fix it rather than trash it and get something else. Who knows, maybe a temperature sensor issue. Apparently the Canadian version of this does not have that feature.....maybe I can revise it to that version.

In the meantime, I'll see if there is a service manual online that I can access. Time to dig, but my google fu does not feel strong today.

Opihi59

Premium Member
No luck on finding a service manual. I have contacted Broan, but really doubt they will be helpful to me in this quest. Maybe someone on the forum will come thru. I do have some suspicion of the temperature sensor but have no way of testing performance parameters unless somehow those parameters were published somewhere.

Seems the manual would be out there somewhere, but multiple sources all came up empty handed.

Opihi59

Premium Member
Broan was not helpful with a service manual. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Still no luck on service manual thru any other sources. Occasionally the fan will come on spontaneously, even while there is no heat on the stove, etc. It does have a temperature sensor that will kick the fan on automatically. When it does this, the fan speed indicator light will blink on and off. If you turn it on, the light above the fan speed is a steady on light. Currently the fan will pulse on/off briefly and keep doing that action, and it has come on by itself w no heat on the stove, but with the hood lights on. If you then shut off the hood lights, or dim them, then the fan will stop pulsing and stay on w the fan speed light blinking on and off.
Not sure where to go with this issue. I could guess temp sensor is bad and replace that, but I really just despise throwing in parts without having a way to know or understand/test the system to figure out what is really wrong with it. This AM, the time display showed "2Aff" Not sure what that is supposed to mean, could be a trouble code, but I am unable to interpret.

Interestingly, a friend with a recent kitchen remodel who installed a Broan Range hood called me up last night and said they cannot turn off their fan, and the fan speed light is blinking. I could only tell them that once the range had cooled down, it would shut off. But, they had been cooking a lot on the range when it came on like this.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Where did you buy this Broan Evolution 3 series range hood at?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Can you go back to that place and ask if they can recommend someone who knows a great deal about these to come to your house to see what's going on?

Jake

Opihi59

Premium Member
I suppose that is a possibility. Of course it's simple enough to remove and take to them, but they're not a repair center. All the service centers for Broan on a Honolulu search indicate places in California.
Of course it may take me a few days to find a slice of time to get there. I'll post back in.

Opihi59

Premium Member
I figured I'd post in an update, since I really hate to leave a dangling thread with no resolution or progress shown by the OP. Just over the last 3 days, this range hood has been simply going nuts with the same issues as posted initially, though now it's pretty much a continuous thing.

My options were to just unplug power to the fan, but I really prefer having an exhaust fan. I pulled the underside cover off for a recon. I did find a paired black conductor set which wandered down to the back of the hood which seemed to be a good candidate for a temperature sensor, then traced it back to the board and unplugged it. Having done this, I am now able to switch the fan speed up/down/off. So, perhaps problem solved, but not so fast...... It now shows an error code on the display which I have no way of interpreting, nor a way to interrogate the system for any other trouble codes like I can interrogate my dishwasher for example. I can live with the error code.

I did find a part number for the sensor, original PN 97018252 replaced by updated part number S97018252. Being totally OCD, I have purchased a new sensor for approx $20 which includes shipping, and will install this and see if the hood is restored to proper function status. If not, well, I suppose I can live with an error code on the display instead of the clock/time function.

I'll post in more updates as they happen, so don't mark this one Solved just yet.

Photos--small clothes line clip on the wires to sensor, sensor location at back center of range hood, data plate, error code, fan speed sensor function info from user's guide, etc. E-pics 2 and 4 are upside down, I don't know how to rotate them, so please use your imagination for proper orientation. Sorry.

IMG_6717.JPG IMG_6718.jpg IMG_6719.JPG IMG_6720.jpg IMG_6721.jpg

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like your making progress.:)

Thanks for the update!

Yes, we love updates here, so keep updating.:)

Jake

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Electronic Control malfunction?

This lack of ability to shut the thing off once turned on has deteriorated to having the thing come on by itself (completely arbitrary) and then surging speeds/slowing as if possessed. Eventually it will shut itself off, but this is very annoying.
There doesn't appear to be a lot to that hood. The only thing I can see in its parts list that might be responsible for such behavior is its electronic control.

LINK > Broan QP330SS Electronic Control

If the motor was responsible for the lack of speed control, that failure couldn't cause it to come on by itself. The only thing I can see being responsible for that is the control itself.

JMO

Dan O.

Last edited:

Opihi59

Premium Member
Doesn't seem too complex, I concur, at least in concept. It's just a set of lights and a fan. But then all the other "good idea" things get thrown in, with a circuit board, logic circuits, micro processor, temp sensors, etc and suddenly, it went from being a simple hood to something that has equivalent or superior computing power than the Apollo missions. The Canadian model lacks the automatic on/temp sensor; I would rather have that model, but the circuit boards are different, and I'm not sure what is compatible with what unless I had both of these range hoods side-by-side.

I did see the availability of the control board which I will of course consider if it becomes necessary. I'm kinda hoping that the new temperature sensor fixes it.

Thank you for the part link, and for reading my thread/contributing.

Opihi59

Premium Member
Okay, updating. I installed a new temperature sensor just now, it did not fix the problem. I suppose the issue must be in the main board. I can hear a switch/component in the board clicking on and off, and if I feel around on the board it seems that the component doing the clicking (you'll need to open the picture of the board I posted a few posts up) is the round black cylinder thing with the small hole in the center, about midway along the upper aspect of the board-in the orientation of my photo-that has the yellow wire coming out just above it. No, it's not the capacitors. Now of course, I have no way of knowing if this component is bad, or the processor etc that controls it is bad. At this point, I suppose I'd replace the board, but honestly, I don't really care to spring $125 + S/H just to reactivate a feature I couldn't care less about having.

So, in that spirit, I suppose I will put it all back together and simply live with it until something else decides to fail, and revise my choices at that point. Intermittently, it seems the display shows some sort of fault code. The first character of the code looks like a capital H that has the second vertical bar gone, and the second character is a capital L.

I suppose if the collective experience of the forum on Broan range hoods were more replete, then perhaps we would have a service manual somewhere that would enable interpretation of this, or some knowledge of how to interrogate the system for fault codes as we do have in some other larger kitchen appliances, but until that time, I suppose I'll live with it. Who knows, maybe someone will post in in the not too distant future and tell us what this is, but I'm not ready to hemorrhage more time and money at the moment on this hood.

Everyone has already figured out I'm a bit of a cheap guy. Now of course if someone does a kitchen demolition that involves one of these hoods, save me the parts.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I agree the problem is more than likely in the main control board.

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Joanangela24

Premium Member
I know this blog is more than a year old. But since my Brian is doing the same thing I’m wondering if this issue was resolved by replacing the main control board and if so what did that cost? Thanks
Joan

Joanangela24

Premium Member
FYI - After being awakened in the middle of the night by this annoying exhaust, it suddenly occurred to me that I had an easy fix. Since the only way to turn it off was to flip the circuit breaker in the garage, it occurred to me there was an easier way to turn off the 'juice.' The unit is mounted under a cabinet. Inside that cabinet is the outlet into which it is plugged. I installed a 3 pronged, grounded, remote control unit that I had left over from some garden lights and plugged the Broan into it. The small remote device now lives in a drawer right next to the range. So, when I am cooking, I simply click it 'on' so the unit is fully functional. And when I'm finished cooking, I click it 'off'. The only difference is that I don't have the LED read out of the time which I referred to frequently. But so what. It's not an "actual" repair, but it works for me.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I don't know if he ordered the control board or not on his, he never came back to tell us.

Glad to hear you found a way to fix it on yours, by turning the power OFF to it.:)

Jake

nate_dog

I had the same issues. At first I ordered a new heat sensor earlier this year, but that worked only temporarily. Instead of turning on sporadically, the fan simply stayed on when used, and I had to keep using the circuit breaker to shut it off. I ordered a new circuit board, and just installed it today. That fixed the issue. It's an expensive solution. A far cheaper solution is to unplug the heat sensor. That was my initial solution to stop the fan from turning on automatically throughout the day and night, however, this is not a permanent solution (a warning light remains on). I hope this helps anyone with this problem. I have had this fan for 5 years.