FIXED Broiler element comes on instead of bake element

Zummo

Premium Member
Model Number
FEF364FSC
Brand
Frigidaire
Wife was baking cookies today at 375 degrees. After an hour, the last batch went in the oven and just as she went to check on them during the last minute she saw that the cookies were black! Smoke in the house, smoke alarm goes off (at least we know it's working properly). I performed the adjust oven temp check according to the manual, display read "0" so the control has the original factory settings. Let the oven cool down, then hung oven thermometer in the middle, pressed "bake" button and set temp to 375. Checked back 10 minutes later and the thermometer was reading over 450 and then I noticed that the broiler element was glowing red, bake element wasn't glowing! Turned it off, waited a few minutes and pushed the broiler button, set to Lo, the element came on.

I called Frigidaire and the fellow I spoke to said he had never heard of this happening. He said could be a problem with the control board, relays not working properly. He suggested I do a hard reset by turning off the range breaker for several minutes and then check again. Turned off the breaker for 20 minutes, then tried again and still the broiler element comes on when pushing the bake button and setting temp.

Control board might be the problem? Comments appreciated! Fortunately we only lost a dozen cookies and we're having Thanksgiving dinner at my sisters, so won't have to worry about baking a turkey!

Zummo

Premium Member
I knew you were going to say that! Still cheaper than a new range. Thanks for your help and happy Thanksgiving!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I was hoping you would get away with just a sensor, sorry. Happy Holidays!

Zummo

Premium Member
Hey Rick, I'm going to order the control board, but I read somewhere that the overlay is somehow glued to the front of the oven control board. Is there an easy to remove the overlay and re-glue to the new control board?

Zummo

Premium Member
Got the new control board, the hair dryer and putty knife worked great removing the overlay. Oven works like it's supposed to now. I checked the circuit boards on the old controller, couldn't see anything burned or melted. Must of been a failure in one of the IC's. Thanks for your help!