FIXED Broken hinge pin holder on Kenmore Dispenser chute

kkettel

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
The in door dispenser ice chute flap/cover is broken. Actually, after disassembly, it is really one of the hinge pin holder tabs that is broken. These "tabs" appear to be part of the dispenser holder housing which appears to be non-orderable.

Any ideas or suggestions other than ordering the whole door? :)

Thanks in advance!
Keith

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Keith, there is a kit to fix this problem instead of ordering the whole freezer door.

Here's the kit you can order(comes with instructions and VIDEO):
8201756 Broken Tab Ice Door Kit

Jake

kkettel

Premium Member
Confirm this kit fixes the tabs on the freezer DOOR

Jake, thank you. Can you confirm this kit somehow fixes the broken tab on the FREEZER door itself? instead of the tabs on the ice chute door itself?

Thanks,
Keith

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I really can't confirm that, I've never needed to replace one of these kits myself, hopefully another tech. or member can confirm it. I've referenced this part to many members here and non has given any feedback on the contrary.

Jake

kkettel

Premium Member
Kit fixed the broken hinge pin and tab

To closeout the thread I was in, the repair Kit I purchased from RepairClinic that Jake recommended worked great. It took me less than an hour from start to finish. No special tools were required.

Thanks Repair Clinic and thanks Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Keith, I think your the only person here to confirm that the Kit I've been telling everyone to get has worked.:)

Fantastic, thank you very much for the update.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The Whirlpool part#8201756 is the genuine Whirlpool part for this kit, I always advise members to purchase here from the links we post to it directly, as its guaranteed to work or your money back.

Jake

deanbob1

Premium Member
Can anyone describe the symptoms that lead to the discovery of the broken hingepin or tab? Assuming my unit has the same problem, will this part also apply to model 106.56922600? Also, anyone know the startup and running wattage for model 106.56922600 ? Thanx in advance.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You can search our threads about others that had this issue:
8201756 - Google Search

And yes that kit will work on your model.

I don't know the wattage your refrigerator uses on start-up or running.

Jake

melmac

Premium Member
To closeout the thread I was in, the repair Kit I purchased from RepairClinic that Jake recommended worked great. It took me less than an hour from start to finish. No special tools were required.

Thanks Repair Clinic and thanks Jake!
The plastic part that the pin sits on has snapped off, it is part of the black plastic housing, how does this kit replace that?
melmac

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yea, they don't make the ice dispenser cavity as a separate part you can replace, this kit solves it, I've never installed one myself, but you can see the other members that have and it fixed their's.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then that kit should fix yours as well.

Jake

dwdelano

Premium Member
Hi All,

I can personally attest that the kit Jake recommends for the broken tab issue works like a champ! It arrived in todays mail and I was able to fix my Kenmore model 106.58966702 in about 45 minutes! It's a very elegant solution, I'd like to shake the hand of the engineer that designed it!

zzoott zzootticus

Premium Member
Hey - I may have just discovered what may be the same issue with my sister's identical model Sears Coldspot 106.57032601 - seems that the hinge point molded into the door panel - the one on the right toward the water dispenser - simply cracked (this model manufactured July, 2006), allowing the ice dispenser door to stay open and frost the thing up. Is there any way to repair that molded-in hinge point. To be clear, this is one of two attachment points for the hinge pin - one end has a hole only in the hinge point through which the slim end of the pin passes, the other is the "open" point that hold the hinge pin's end with a head on it. I also did not find any other parts in the chute - and it appears that the kit shows a pinch ring that should hold the pin in place one it passes through the hole. I'm guessing it either fell off at some point, or was just never there. Ideas?

And - how can I carefully take the surround off the dispenser unit? To this point I've been reaching up into the unit, as I could find no screws, hidden or otherwise, and I don't want to break that bezel.

ZZ

dwdelano

Premium Member
Hey - I may have just discovered what...
ZZ
Hi, The kit has instructions on how to get the bezel off. If I recall correctly, you slide a putty knife behind it at the bottom and push down on the top. The tab on the right side of mine was broken off, too. Serious design flaw if it happens to so many people. When you go to order the kit, you might think to yourself "there's no way that's what I need"...that's what I thought. But it works. Like a champ. It's kinda pricey for what it is, but it sure works like a charm.

zzoott zzootticus

Premium Member
DW - Thanks! I went over and took the panel apart per instructions last evening, thinking I could just reconnoiter what I'd be doing with the kit in hand. Looking things over now able to see them better, I realized that I could manage to do what another forum poster did - work a solution without the kit, at least as a trial.

There's a second tab without a hole located within 1/4" of the broken tab, meant to keep the original pin in place (clearly either did not work for this fridge, or the pin was just never sitting in the right place anyway base on this refrigerator's freezer door's frosty history). I cut a wire pipe hanger about 1/4" longer than the original pin, leaving a 1/4" dogleg on one end. Since quarters are tight, rather than trying to drill a hole through the solid white tab, I heated an aluminum nail tip, then, holding it carefully with pliers, slowly melted a hole of the same diameter through the tab, matching the tab on the opposite side of the ice chute door (the broken open tab acted as a guide to center the hole). Once done, I reinstalled the ice chute door, running the new pin through the newly holed tab, through the holes on the ice chute door, then into the hole in the other tab, with the dogleg stopping the pin, and taped the dogleg with packing tape to keep it from working back out. Everything else fit back in perfectly in five minutes, and the job was done. If for some reason that repair does not hold, we can always go the kit route, as it's clear that it works for this application.

Thanks to this forum, the refrigerator is probably working better now than it ever has!