• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED BSS25JSRFSS GE Refrigerator Blowing Warm Air In fridge

AnthonyFiorante

Premium Member
Model Number
BSS25JSRFSS
Brand
GE
Hello I have a refrigerator blowing warm air in the fridge and cold air in the freezer. About a year ago the fan in the back next to the compressor was sqeeling bad I applied some oil to the fan and it stopped then yesterday my fridge stop working and starting blowing warm air. I pulled out the fridge it smelled a little like something burned behind the access plate couldn't really pin point we're it is coming from, however the compressor is relatively warm, I mean I can put my hand on it without getting burnt (not sure if that is normal) and the fan next to it is not turning at all. Any ideas what it could be?

Attachments

• IMG_20201115_181221.jpg
    IMG_20201115_181221.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

AnthonyFiorante

Premium Member
I just opened the freezer access panel and the fan is turning inside but the freezer coils are all frozen up. I've attached photos. Please let me know what I can check next.

Attachments

• IMG_20201115_183231.jpg
    IMG_20201115_183231.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20201115_183223.jpg
    IMG_20201115_183223.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 10

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, You have 3 parts that control the auto defrost cycle, the motherboard, the evaporator thermistor, and the defrost heater.

So what we do is a process of elimination to determine the bad part. So you will want to unplug your refrigerator and test the defrost heater first, but don't defrost it yet before testing it because if the heater checks good then you will need to test the evaporator thermistor that's mounted on the top of your evaporator coil, and that needs to be covered in frost to test that.

Unplug the refrigerator first, then test the defrost heater first, take the wires off before testing. Watch the video below to test it, if that tests fine, then watch the video Shawn made to test your defrost thermistor. If both test fine, then your motherboard is the bad part.

Here's the evaporator thermistor for your model:
Thermistor WR55X10025

Watch this video, Shawn explains how to test/replace the evaporator thermistor:

Here's the defrost heater for your model:
Defrost Heater Assembly WR51X10055

Here's the motherboard for your model:
Main Control Board WR55X10942P

Watch this video to test your defrost heater:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Also, your condenser fan motor, it should be running at all times when your compressor is running.

If it is NOT--->You'll need a multimeter to see if your getting 120 volts to it.

If your getting 120 volts to it and its not turning then its bad.

Here's the condenser fan motor for your model you can order(Install video included):
Condenser Fan Motor WR60X10220

Jake

AnthonyFiorante

Premium Member
I had an issue with that fan squeeling really bad a year ago and then it suddenly got quiet so it's quite weird that when I pulled it out I did t see it running and the compressor was warm to touch. I already ordered the fan. It comes in tommorow I was going to defrost it today and then pop in the fan and see if happens again. Do you think I should still do all those steps before I do this? Will a bad condenser fan cause the coils to freeze up like that or no? And another possibility is we may have left the door open over night but we don't think we did.

AnthonyFiorante

Premium Member
Here is a picture of the heater assembly. To me it seems like it's burnt out, no continuity on the probe pin. Should I check anything else after now the we know the Heater is broke?

Attachments

• IMG_20201116_123341.jpg
    IMG_20201116_123341.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 12

AnthonyFiorante

Premium Member
I just changed the heater assembly with a new one and changed the condenser fan in the back, i defrosted everything and it seems like now there is cool air breathing through the vent of the fresh food fridge side, I will post later in a bit if we are good to go 🤞😁

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the defrost heater look burnt and no continuity through it means its bad for sure.

No, a bad condenser fan motor should not cause a auto-defrost problem.

Sounds like your back in business.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

AnthonyFiorante

Premium Member
Yes it seems to be working good. I put a thermometer inside there and it gets to 33 degrees then about 40 degrees or more it kicks back on too cool again. Do you think I am in the clear should I be worried about the other parts you had mentioned earlier about possibly be broken aswell or usually when the heater is fried it usually that part?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Give it 10 to 14 days then you will know for sure if its completely fixed.

A bad heating element should not make other parts go bad.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help!

Jake