• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

burner on indicator light stays on

StoneyStrange

Premium Member
Model Number
GY396LXGQ5
Brand
Whirlpool
My "burner on" indicator light stays on even when the the burners are not hot and when the knob has snappd to the off position. We have flipped the breaker to make sure nothing bad happens but that's a pain.
Your thoughts??
Thanks
Stoney

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

StoneyStrange

Premium Member
do you have part #9750644???---have checked the burner controls and believe it is this switch not the larger one you stated in your response--(part # 9750646)---my understanding is I have 3 different switch sizes---a 1450 watt--1700watt and 2-2400 watt---after checking for continuity between the 2 on this same size I think it is the smaller one----also do you have a knob for one switch...thanks---Went ahead and found the part # above and the knob---ordered them today---thanks for your help--hopefully this will be right...thanks again

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The #9750646 is the 2400 watt switch Rick.:)

The #9750644 is the 1700 watt switch.:)

The #9750643 is the 1400 watt switch.:)

Jake

Goombah

Premium Member
One of the switches has a shorted contact inside it. The way to determine which one is to use an ohmmeter. First remove power to the range. disconnect the wire on the back of the switch marked "P" and check for continuity on each switch between the terminals marked L1 and L2 to the terminal marked "P". The one shows continuity is the shorted one and the one that needs to be replaced:

Surface Element Switch 9750646 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
View attachment 7659
I have the same problem and have some questions; Depending on the age of the range is it worth replacing? Does it pose any danger? How much electricity is being used to power the led?

rickgburton

Staff member
One of the switch "L1" contacts is shorted to the pilot contact. Although any short, no matter how small, has the potential of being dangerous, no you'll be OK as long as you can stand the LED on. I don't know how much electricity it uses but I can't imagine it would be very much.