• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

FIXED Burnt Paper / Rubber smell from exhaust. Everything works like normal.

rednelb

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
During warming up some food this evening, I noticed what smelled like paper burning. Finally traced it back to microwave.

It is definitely coming from the exhaust when heating something. The oven vent does not produce any smell. It is all from the main exhaust vent.

After a few more test (removing the charcoal filter and panel) the smell became more like that of a burnt rubber belt.

Everything else seems to work normally. Heat and all.

What shall I do next?

BTW, I am very proficient in almost everything electrical. I just cannot much online that matches my situation.

regard.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

You or someone is going to have to dive in and see what/where the smell is coming from...
Food splatter on the wave guide inside the oven cavity, burnt stir blade, grease...

Cover-3550W1A126D--01052109.jpg Z1110010-00006.jpg

jeff.

rednelb

Premium Member
Burnt Stir Blade it was!!!

Thank you so much.

Pulled it out and it looked like a puddle of burnt molasses/coffee or something. Cleaned off the plate, scraped the cover and cleaned the interior really well and touched up the paint and all is well. I ordered a new cover due to a bit of melted plastic and residue.

My question is, did this gunk build up until it finally hit the stir plate, and THEN start burning? The edges of the plate only had a small bit on them, but most of the gunk around the cover and main burn spot was still gooey. The only charred/crusty spot was right where the edges of the plate would have touched.

Just curious. THANKS AGAIN jeff1. My girl was not happy thinking her 2 year old MW was shot.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I find food bits and splatter get onto the cover and if we don't clean it up, those bits and splatter will cook at the same time we are using the oven....and eventually this gets so hot it will burn/char.

jeff.