Buyer's remorse? (Kenmore 40441+80441

TR7Spyder

Premium Member
This Black Friday, I was able to “pick-up” one of Sears’ Door Busters deals, a steam washer/driver (models 40441 and 80441) for $1100. At nearly half the price, it certainly seems like a good price, but is it a good set?

<O:p</O:p
The more I read about LG made, <ST1:pKenmore washers, the worse I feel about this purchase…

The kicker to this deal is that Sears claimed that they only had four per store, but that apparently does not mean that each store had 4 units on site. They had to order them and they will be here on Tuesday or Wed. That gives me a chance to do this research.

What do you guys know about these units?

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its made by LG, I've never been a fan of LG or Samsung appliances, they make great TV's and Computer monitors, which I'm using a new Samsung LED monitor as I'm typing this now, and its Top Notch, but as far as home appliances go, they have a long ways to go to match the big boys like Whirlpool, Maytag, Frigidaire.

I quit Sears in 2005 as these were just starting to come on the market, so I've had no repair training on these at all.

Yes, the price you paid for this set is excellent, but if it breaks down after warranty I'm afraid I can't assist you in fixing it, hopefully we will get a tech. here with a lot of experience on these that can help out.

I'll leave this thread open to see if others reply to give their opinion's.

Jake

TR7Spyder

Premium Member
Thank you for your advise, Jake!

<O:p</O:pFrom what I have been able to determine, LG washers are more difficult to work on. This is somewhat anecdotal, but my friend had some warranty work done on his LG machine and repair tech was complaining about LG units being difficult to repair. I was hoping to get some first hand information, from techs who have actually worked on these units.

I was able to make some major repairs on my old Kenmore washer and drier set (417.290 washer), so I intend to work on the replacement units myself (when and if they break).

But it would be great to get something that doesn't break in the first place ;)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I understand, Unfortunately there isn't any repair manuals for the these models that I'm aware of.

Even the best machines I recommend, Whirlpool, Maytag, Frigidaire are not immune from breaking, but at least with them, they are much more servicer friendly than LG and Samsung.

Jake