Buying a home - has anyone heard of AirTemp brand?

jlpicardq

Premium Member
I am looking at a house that my wife and I are considering buying, but I'm concerned about the HVAC system, especially the brand name. The AC unit outside and the furnace inside are branded "AirTemp".

The furnace is the "Excaliber" series (spelling?)

On the AC unit outside, the label with the serial number and electrical information states that it was manufactured by Goodman Manufacturing of Houston, TX. Also, the AC unit model is "CK36-1T".

I cannot find any information on this brand and whether it's good or not. Anyone know anything about it? Will it last? Is it low or high quality? I'm hesitant to buy the house and then have to replace the furnace soon afterwards.

Thanks,

Fud

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi Fud,

AIRTEMP (Chrysler) became a subsidiary of Fedders Corp in 1976. In the early 80's they discontinued manufacturing split system and packaged equipment. They now sell window units under; Fedders, Climatrol, AirTemp, Hunter and Emerson Quiet Kool brands. I'm not familiar with that model but an HVAC Tech would be able to come to your home and check the system and give you an evaluation of all the components.

jlpicardq

Premium Member
Hi Fud,

AIRTEMP (Chrysler) became a subsidiary of Fedders Corp in 1976. In the early 80's they discontinued manufacturing split system and packaged equipment. They now sell window units under; Fedders, Climatrol, AirTemp, Hunter and Emerson Quiet Kool brands. I'm not familiar with that model but an HVAC Tech would be able to come to your home and check the system and give you an evaluation of all the components.
Thank you for the information! I was wondering: if I have a serial number for the unit could Fedders possibly tell me when it was manufactured? I'm wondering if it's the original (30yr old) unit installed when the house was built.