Buying a new Washer. Need some advice

MarkP

Premium Member
In '99 I bought a new Maytag Commercial Duty washer with the porcelain tub. This is the one only available through a Maytag dealer not a big box store. I was told this was the best of the Maytags and a "20 year washer". This washer has been used in a 3 person household. When it was 2 years old the tub needed replaced. It was out of warranty and Maytag was nice and charged me for half the cost of the parts and I paid labor. Now 7 years into my "20 year washer" the tub is leaking in the spot where the tub it meets the transmission. My Maytag dealer said to replace the bearings and install new belts it would be around $300.
I guess this washer really will last 20 years if I keep dumping money into it.

Here's where I could use some advise. I'm looking into a new Whirlpool because I can get a discount.

I've looked at 2 top loaders WTW5900S and GSW9800P. I believe these are both direct drives. I was told with direct drives there is a chance of breaking something if I overload the washer vs. a belt driven washer like the Maytag. IS THIS TRUE?

The one I'm REALLY interested in is the Front loader WFW8300S. It's a 3.3 capacity . Is this comparable to the size of a Neptune?

The Cabrio WTW6600SW looks REAL nice. How is this washer?

Is one better than the other? Are there any of these I should stay away from? Or is there one I haven't listed that maybe I should consider?

THANKS!

Last edited:

Bambiblaster

Appliance Tech
My Opinion

Your best washer is the basic washer... when you start getting one for looks and gadgets you run into problems... less probs with top loaders... the coupler takes a beating but is easily replaced ... the front loads are nice and are not too ba... but which ever you get you cant beat the extended warranty... they pay for themselves in the long run

MarkP

Premium Member
Bambiblaster said:
My Opinion

Your best washer is the basic washer... when you start getting one for looks and gadgets you run into problems... less probs with top loaders... the coupler takes a beating but is easily replaced ... the front loads are nice and are not too ba... but which ever you get you cant beat the extended warranty... they pay for themselves in the long run

THANKS for the advie. reagarding the front loader and the Cabrio, is one better than the other?

SIDE NOTE: I'm not sure why this got moved to the Maytag section?