• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

BX20QW Amana Refrigerator working/not working

DougGB

Premium Member
Model Number
BX20QW
Brand
Amana
I have an Older Amana refrigerator that quit working. I discovered the wall's gfi outlet blew and the breaker turned off the refrigerator. The refrigerator was working fine for a year without issues until this breaker blew. Reset gfi breaker several times, but it would not operate the refrigerator.

I then decided to plug the refrigerator into a standard outlet and the refrigerator lights came on and appeared at first all was good. However the the refrigerator' compressor would not power up. After about 5 minutes the compressor turned on and the refrigerator appeared operational.

All is good for 5 days when the refrigerator decided it wanted to get warm again. Played with the temp setting and left. Later that day the refrigerator / freezer stared working again. All is currently nice and cold and it has been 3 days since the last temper tantrum. Another note is the refrigerator will make a POP noise from time to time. Not sure if this going to continue, but don't want a refrigerator that is not going to work. Any advise would be appreciated.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
When it stops cooling is the compressor running? Compressors normally run warm to very warm. A compressor that's running hot to extremely hot usually indicates a problem with the sealed system. If the compressor gets too hot the overload will open and won't close again until the compressor cools.

However, your meter will still measure 120 VAC at the compressor. If there's no voltage at the compressor try turning the defrost timer one or two clicks. It might be sticking in the defrost cycle. Also check the cold control isn't sticking.

DougGB

Premium Member
The the refrigerator quits, the compressor is off. So it may be the cold control or the defrost timer?