• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

BX21V2E Amana fridge not cooling well

lilmissme

Premium Member
Model Number
BX21V2E
Brand
Amana
Hi, I have an Amana BX21V2E bottom freezer refrigerator. It is not cooling like it should be. The refrigerator is cooling to about 42 and the freezer will get to 30 at the lowest; that will freeze ice a bit but it wont keep things frozen and ice cream stays really, really soft. I had to toss everything that was previously in there, fruits and veggies because they pretty much defrosted at that temp. The freezer and fridge are set at 7, the highest it will go.

Anyway, the compressor is warm/hot and it is humming. The fans are running. The coils have been vacuumed front and back. The defrost timer snaps it off and on a few times a day on its own or when I turn the knob and force it (when I was just testing it.) I have taken the back off the inside of the freezer a couple times. The first time was just to see if it was frosting up like the last time I fixed it years ago (replaced the defrost thermostat), even though there was no obvious signs, like last time. There was no frost at all this time. Just last week I took the back off again and there still was not frost anywhere but there was a big chunk of ice in the right corner behind the defrost thermostat. I melted the ice before I put the back back on. It didn't make a difference cooling wise but still seemed like the right thing to do :).

I have replaced the Temperature Control Thermostat just a couple weeks ago and that made no difference. I'm at a loss of what it could be. I would really appreciate any help!

Thank you very much, Kriss

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Kriss,

You have a sealed system problem, look at the photos below and you will see the one that resembles your evaporator coil, its on the right top of the photos.

(click to enlarge)
Frost Patterns.jpg

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions. Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value.

Jake

lilmissme

Premium Member
Jake, I want to thank you very much for taking the time to help me! I apologize for taking so long to reply back.
I was afraid sealed system problem might be the issue. That stinks cause I really like my fridge. Thankfully at least my parents said I can have their extra fridge they have.

Thank you again! I really do appreciate it!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help Kriss.:)

Jake