• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

C2S950P4M1W2 Noisy fan on GE Cafe range -- normal?

Spartan

Premium Member
Model Number
C2S950P4M1W2
Brand
GE
I have a relatively new GE Cafe Dual-fuel slide-in range (Model C2S950P4M1W2) that I installed during our recent kitchen remodel. After a few weeks, the oven started randomly shutting off during preheat. (Reading a few posts below, sounds like a not uncommon issue.) GE Service came out, diagnosed it as a faulty vent fan, and replaced the fan. However, the new fan is excessively loud. It sounds like a hair dryer. The tech said "that's normal." In disbelief, I called GE and scheduled another service appointment to have another tech verify this. He came out today, listened to the fan and also said it seems normal, but still ordered a yet another fan to be replaced next week.

So my question is if it is normal for the oven vent fan to be ridiculously loud? The previous fan was not anywhere near this loud (but also ended up being faulty). But before we were having the shut-off issue, it worked fine for a few weeks. We could hear it turn on, but was never intrusive. Now, we can't even stand to be in the kitchen when the fan is running. When the oven cools down enough that the fan finally shuts off, the "silence" is deafening!

I have a hard time believing that GE would design a higher-end range with such a noisy fan. Can anyone confirm if this seems normal? If it is, are there any tricks or hacks that I can do to make it run more quietly? If we can't get around this, I hate to say we might need to look for a new range, since the matte white Cafe coordinates with everything else we've done to the kitchen. (We also got a matching Cafe refrigerator.)

Any input/insight appreciated.

Spartan

Premium Member
Ok thanks. Maybe I'll try to remove and reinstall the fan to see if that makes any difference. I also still have the original fan, so I might switch over the circuit board from the new fan to see if that also changes anything.

I've done a bit more googling and there are a few other complaints about the fan noise floating around in reviews of this range... I honestly can't believe that people would not complain more about this. It ruins the user experience.