C970-600132 Kenmore Range Warmer element stopped working

edee_em

Premium Member
Model Number
C970-600132
Brand
Sears Kenmore
What with everything else going on, the warmer element stopped working this morning. Is there a way to check the different relay and control boards used in this model? Put a different way, how do we know it is a relay board problem or a control board problem. Would hate to drop $300+ for a control board only to find a relay board was the cause. Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm not familiar with Canadian appliances, Jeff and Dan O. both live in Canada and they are both appliance techs there, so its best that you post that same question here:

Thanks,

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
By the way, what did you do to fix it here:

Jake

edee_em

Premium Member
Hi Jake
First, the "Canadian" models are no different, in my opinion, except for the side-car poutine maker ;). All of the parts I have researched so far seem to be coming from the same bin as every other Frigidaire/Electrolux, etc.

Second, as mentioned in that post, I checked temp probe and it didn't have continuity so I replaced it. Did not fix problem. I then checked the upper oven hidden bake element and there was a break in the element and obviously no continuity. Bought and installed new element (not cheap) but that didn't fix the problem of oven not getting to temperature. The oven not heating problem still persists. And, to throw salt on the wound, the warming element (center rear) stopped working when we went to use it this morning.

Those repairs lead me to believe that it is in the electronics and that brought me to the most recent question of whether it is control board or relay. I have zero knowledge in the electronics of a stove but I think I'm getting the repair bug and my curiosity is getting the better of me. I know I should dump this oven and buy a new one but I am attracting to the opportunity of tinkering with it. It might be something straight forward or it could be two boards and $600-700. I need to know!!

I did want to add that there is a real shortage of diy/help videos out there when it comes to the electronics side of things. 10 million videos on how to change the bake element and maybe 2-3 on checking boards.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Its most likely the oven relay board:

If you have a multimeter you can test voltage at the oven relay board per the pinouts on Page 3 in the tech. data sheet, which I'm attaching below.

Jake

Attachments

edee_em

Premium Member
Thanks for that service data sheet Jake. I guess the adage of "if you have to ask, you shouldn't do it" applies here, but I kind of need an explanation of term "pinouts". Are those the J's, the P's or the K's shown in the diagram. My first guess is the J's. Am I close??

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Look at the chart on page 3 it tells you which each relay controls what.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Not without me coming to your house to do voltage tests on those relays.:)

If you order the relay board from RepairClinic in my post #5 and you replace it and if it doesn't solve the problem you can return for a full refund, less shipping.

Jake

edee_em

Premium Member
I didn't know they will refund a part that doesn't solve the problem. Most places, even if you just look at the packaging, will not refund a used/tried item. That's good to know. Thanks Jake.

I think I misspoke about the lower oven not working. It looks like the touch panel has given up.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I think you REALLY should consider a new range, you have multiple problems going on here.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When we are talking between the two of us here, there is no need to click the Reply button, just reply in the editor box we type in.:)

When you click the Relay button first it makes every post a quoted relay, which gets annoying LOL, Yes your wife told me to tell you that too, LOL.

Jake