FIXED CA5WMS Crosley - No cover on my used window A/C. What to do?

alwaysask

Premium Member
Model Number
CA5WMS
Brand
Crosley
Hello, Helpers. I purchased a used Crosley window A/C, sight unseen, from a local Buy/Sell Facebook Group this spring. It was filthy with the cover missing. I cleaned the fins very well, they were caked with dust and animal hair. It works pretty well all considered.

I know it needs some kind of filter. I just picked up a central air filter at Walmart and cut it to size. It's the kind that's pleated with wire in it. I just cut out a piece that covers the entire area where the cover was. I'm not sure this is what I'm supposed to do. When the A/C turns on it sucks the filter pretty tight and it seems not to cool as well as when it had no filter. It could be my imagination but it begs the question, "Will this work?" Should this entire area be covered? Because I'm not sure the original filter covered the whole front? I just want to get the most out of the unit and want to make sure this is a good solution.

IMG_0728.JPG

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It's the wrong type of filter. You can leave the filter off and just blow it out to clean it once a year.

alwaysask

Premium Member
Yes, it is definitely the wrong filter LOL. So you would actually recommend no filter over this filter? I didn't expect that.

Will this filter damage the unit? I think it needs some kind of filter given the crap I pulled out of it. If I need something more appropriate, that's what I need to know.

rickgburton

Staff member
So you would actually recommend no filter over this filter?
A filter on a window unit is not that important. It's very important on central air conditioning. If the filter you have on there now is restricting the airflow it will cause more problems than having no filter.

I think it needs some kind of filter given the crap I pulled out of it.
The filter catches airborne dust and that's all. Anything other than dust didn't get past the filter. Dust won't damage anything especially if you do like I said and blow it out once a year.

Here's the filter for that model. #10 in the diagram:
WP8209898 Filter-Air
0028139575_4.gif

alwaysask

Premium Member
Thanks for the information, 4 real. Very helpful. Unfortunately the manufacturer's filter and plate to hold it would cost about 6 times what I paid for the unit and are out of stock anyway. I have long haired cat whose hair will be all in this unit. If you and others think the filter I'm using is a bad call, then maybe I should go with something like this specifically made for window units:

61slbeOqd8L._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
...then maybe I should go with something like this specifically made for window units
Absolutely, a much better choice. Cut it to size. You still need to clean it every once in a while.