• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Cabrio WTW5610XW3 - how important are motor ohms?

bryanska

Model Number
WTW5610XW3
Brand
Whirlpool
I am about to drive all over town buying a capacitor...

Are the motor ohms way out of spec? Should I buy a motor too?

Spec is between 3.5 and 6 ohms...

I'm getting 4.6 and 8.1 ohms.

The capacitor "tests to infinity" when measuring resistance. But I only have a cheap meter and that's all I can measure.

The drum begins to spin in one direction, but only for a second, then the motor won't continue to run. Replaced main board, shift actuator, lid lock. Went thru manual diagnostics, and the motor won't run. Belts tight, etc.

After replacing parts the washer DID perform OK for a while today but eventually the spin stopped working.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Also unplug the machine and remove the motor capacitor and see you have a big bulge in the capacitor.

Here's the motor capacitor for your model:

15. Test Motor Run Capacitor. NOTE: A faulty capacitor may cause the motor to “hum”, not start, or turn slowly.
a. Discharge the capacitor by touching the leads of a 20,000 Ω resistor to the two terminals.
b. Disconnect the wires from the capacitor terminals.
c. With an ohmmeter, measure across the terminals and note reading.
--->If a steady increase in resistance is noted, continue to step 16.
--->If the capacitor is either shorted or open, replace capacitor, calibrate washer (page 4), and repeat step 1.
16. If the preceding steps did not correct the motor problem, replace the main control W10480123
a. Unplug washer or disconnect power.
b. Replace the main control.
c. Reassemble all parts and panels.
d. Plug in washer or reconnect power. Calibrate washer and perform Automatic Test to verify repair

Are the motor ohms way out of spec? Should I buy a motor too?

Spec is between 3.5 and 6 ohms...

I'm getting 4.6 and 8.1 ohms.
Yes, out of spec.

--->PAGE 14 of the tech data sheet(attached below)--->TEST #3b: Drive System – Motor

Here's the motor for your model:
Drive Motor W10832724

Attachments

• techsheet-w10468342-revc.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 15
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.