• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Can I bypass defrost in Hotpoint HTR16ABSHRWW and elect not to defrost?

ToddLink

Premium Member
Model Number
HTR16ABSHRWW
Brand
Hotpoint
I own a Hotpoint HTR16ABSHRWW that is in a self built camping trailer and the fridge is only used 6-7 times a year. It is a top freezer unit. When in use the unit is on for 5-6 days at a time. The unit is off and unplugged more than 320 days a year. When on the unit is powered off a 2,000 watt generator or a lithium battery that is charged via solar. The issue is the defrost cycle for the freezer, which triggers a heating element, creates a big draw on the generator and the battery. I do not need the defrost cycle for the unit because the lack of use. When we return from a camping trip the unit is unplugged and will defrost. When camping we do not need the unit defrosted. So the question is can I either unplug the defrost timer or remove the heating element, or both? Just looking for a way to bypass defrost and avoid the draw from the heating element. Thanks.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
do not need the defrost cycle
Here's the deal; Every ten hours or so the defrost timer turns the defrost heater on for about 20 minutes. That keeps the frost from building on the evaporator. Too much frost starts to block the airflow which makes the compressor run longer trying to satisfy the cold control. The fan needs to pull the air across the -20° coils then push it into the FF section and if you block the airflow with frost you lose the cooling. When a defrost system fails it normally takes about a week before the frost build up blocks the airflow and the poor cooling starts. You can't unplug or remove the timer because it also controls the compressor. What you can do is disable the timer motor so it no longer advances. You can still manually advance the timer into a defrost cycle whenever you want but there's a catch, you need to remember to take it out of defrost after 15-20 minutes. There's a defrost terminator that opens the circuit to the heater if it gets above 50°. There are four terminals on the defrost timer. Disconnect the wire on the timer motor terminal:
Snapshot_7.jpg

ToddLink

Premium Member
This is great info. So I just snap off the 4th lead that controls the timer motor? Is just removing the heating element an alternative?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member