Can I clean inside of a Samsung window A/C?

Willinok

Premium Member
Model Number
AW06ECB8
Brand
Samsung
Hi,

I've got a Samsung AW06ECB8 window unit, about 4 years old. Dark, dusty-looking crap has appeared on the outflow vents, which I presume may be mold...? There's actually dust and hair matted up on the fins (I guess it worked its way around the foam filter in the intake vent), and of course the fins get moist during our humid summers, so mold between the fins and the outflow vent seems likely. So I'd like to clean the entire airflow path, not just the fins and the intake area around the foam filter.

What's the best way to get inside and clean the entire airflow path on one of these? Is that even possible?

My wife's been having breathing problems since summertime, and I'd like to get this possible source cleaned up.

Thanks for any help!

Icehouse

HVAC Tech
Remove it and take it to the car wash. Ask for them to "Steam Clean-it" with the unit they use for whitewalls :)

Willinok

Premium Member
Remove it and take it to the car wash. Ask for them to "Steam Clean-it" with the unit they use for whitewalls :)
Are you serious? :confused:

Hi,

Call local repair shop and ask about cleaning a window a/c.....we still take apart and clean many each year.
LINK> Service Department - Heating

jeff.
Great link, thanks. Gives me some guidance on how to approach it, but I might also check around for a repair shop. I didn't know internal cleaning was a sort of standard procedure anyplace.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I didn't know internal cleaning was a sort of standard procedure anyplace.
We usually recomend bringing them in every 3-5 years....-most- people wait too long until something has been damaged.

jeff.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
In South Texas where the window A/C's run 24/7 in summer, we would go out every Spring and do this cleaning when customers called in to set the appointments, when I worked at Montgomery Ward.

Jake

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Are you serious? :confused:
Forgot to mention....we would often remove a LARGE through wall unit from a store or such and drive it to a car wash place and clean the unit there as it was to big and heavy to move around in the shop or an a cart. Largest was a 33,000BTU unit and it took 4 of us to lift the darn thing.

jeff.