Can I use an old Microwave in a kids play kitchen?

cddyson

Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2021
Messages
1
Location
NC
I know this is not a repair question but I want to be safe so I thought this was the best place to ask BUT I also want a realistic microwave for my granddaughters playhouse.

Is there a way to take a real microwave and disconnect the cooking part but still have working lights, timer, etc. safely? This is really what I would like to have. Walmart has those cute small retro microwaves that would be perfect in a playhouse. Is this possible? If this is not safe, is it safe to take the same microwave and remove the power cord and just use it for the look and the door opening/closing? No light or timer. Thanks!
 

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Joined
Oct 9, 2004
Messages
4,257
Location
Ontario, Canada
cddyson said:
Is there a way to take a real microwave and disconnect the cooking part but still have working lights, timer, etc. safely?

It should be possible to disconnect the power going to the high voltage transformer and afterward the microwave should do everything except heat. Just be sure to insulate the connectors that are removed from the transformer with electrical tape or similar, to prevent shorts.

It would still have power internally so there'd still be some safety considerations but not much more than it sitting on your counter. There shouldn't be any heat except from the light bulb.

The microwave oven's capacitor can hold a charge even after being unplugged which could be a shock hazard but if it was never plugged in, that shouldn't be a possibility.

LINK > Appliance Aid » Microwave Oven Help Section


cddyson said:
is it safe to take the same microwave and remove the power cord and just use it for the look and the door opening/closing?

Yes. A microwave oven has no emissions when not powered and shouldn't be harmful to the touch. Hopefully there are no sharp edges.

Dan O.
 
Top