• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Can i vacuum window ac evaporator coils?

Bailz

So, i can see that there's a bunch of buildup on the evaporator coils on my window ac. Not sure if it's dirt or mould though, i think it's just dust. If i unplug the unit can i just vacuum the front after removing the front casing and filter? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If i unplug the unit can i just vacuum the front after removing the front casing and filter?

Yes. I don't know how much it will do but it won't hurt anything. The front evaporator coil sweats. Any dust, etc. will be sticking to the moisture on the evaporator.

If you want to make the effort worthwhile, use a shop vac set to wet and suck the moisture off the coil... along with any dust and dirt, etc.

PS. Those fins of the evaporator are easily bent... and the edges sharp like a razor blades! Tread lightly on them!

Replace the filter if it's dirty or at least wash it with very mild soap.

Dan O.

G

Ohh..I didn't know we can vacuum clean it. I clean the filters with water but do not as such touch the other parts. But, now I can try it out. Thank you!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Molly87 said:
I didn't know we can vacuum clean it.

Like I explained, I don't know how much a regular vacuum will do. You might be better brushing it with a wet brush in the direction of the fins. Water on the evaporator coil won't hurt it. You can squirt it before brushing.

Dan O.