• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Can I whine about my non-ice-making Samsung Refrigerator RS22HDHPNWW now? :)

Palmetto1958

Premium Member
Model Number
RS22HDHPNWW
Brand
Samsung
Hi, My six year old fridge was dispensing water just fine, but would not make ice. Temp in freezer was consistent 0, water filter located in fridge area was replaced about a week ago. I read many of the posts here and also looked at some vids.
The icemaker, right? I ordered the DA97-13415B and it arrived today. The install was easy and HUZZAH!!!! It made cubes right away. Once. Then no more.
Soooooo, now do I test/replace the water inlet valve? I thought if I could dispense water at the front, that valve was probably OK? Or am I looking at a bad PCB?
Would appreciate any help - I promise to update the forum to help others!

Last edited:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The water valve on your fridge is a ‘dual’ water valve. It performs 2 functions independently. Half its operations can malfunction without affecting the other function.

LINK > Dual Water Valve DA62-02439C

LINK > How does a water fill valve work?

It is possible for such valves to work once or twice but then fail to function the next time. While it is less common on refrigerator water valves, it is not impossible.

It might be possible to try testing the valve by powering it directly or by measuring power at its connection the next time the icemaker tries to fill. It might also be possible to switch the wiring between the two valves and then activate the dispenser to see if the icemaker then filled thereby confirming the functionality of the valve. (Don’t do that too long or you'll have a flood in the freezer.)

Check the power specifications printed on the valve before manually powering it.

If the valve is operational, the problem has got to be elsewhere.

Dan O.

Palmetto1958

Premium Member
Hi Dan,
Thanks for the quick reply. I have some more info....hubby wanted some ice and had the idea to push the reset button. Pushed the button, heard the chime, closed the door. Lo and behold, in a couple of minutes I hear ice fall into the bucket. Then I listened to see if the unit would fill -- it started to pull water in, and then stopped and chimed again.
What gives?

Palmetto1958

Premium Member
LOL Surely you jest....nowadays manuals are so little help! I believe they expect the homeowner to throw up their hands and call service whenever ANYTHING goes wrong! I don't mean to disrespect you, though.
I did check and the manual offers no help on the chimes.
After the reset button push, the icemaker seems to be plunking out ice fairly well. I'm keeping my eyes on it for volume produced, and if I hear the water stop filling and the chime sound, I will come back and update.
For now, thanks very much for the assistance! I appreciate all that you techs do here to help us out!! Thank you!