• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Cannot put RF28HFEDBSR/AA into manual defrost

jools1976

Premium Member
Model Number
RF28HFEDBSR
Brand
Samsung
Hey all. I have a Samsung RF28HFEDBSR/AA, which is about 28 months old. Recently it began making a weird vibrating sound, and when you would go to use the ice dispenser some water would come out first, then wet ice. About a day later it stopped cooling (fridge and freezer) altogether. I was out of town, so my wife called a service technician, who came out and replaced the 'Defrost Sensor' and 'Drain probe'. This stopped the noise, and got the fridge cooling again, but it still has the issue with the ice dispenser. I pulled the ice bucket out, and the ice maker has about 3/4" of frost/ice caked onto the bottom. I'm assuming this is preventing the bucket from cooling properly, and hence the slightly melted ice coming out. So I want to remove the ice maker and defrost it, but in order to do so without damaging it, I'll need to get the ice off of it. I read online that you can put it into manual defrost mode by holding the Freezer and Fridge buttons at the same time, then pressing the Fridge button until it says 'FD'. I can't get it to do that. When I hold the two buttons for ~5 sec, everything on the display lights up and flashes, but when I press Fridge nothing happens. If I press the Alarm button while it's flashing, I can get it to say 'po', but I don't know what that means. Can anybody offer a little advice on how to move forward with this? I don't want to have to spend another couple hundred bucks getting a tech out for something fairly simple. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I don't have the tech data sheet for this model, so I can't confirm what to press to force a defrost cycle.

Just turn the refrigerator off and use a hair dryer to defrost that ice/frost.

I did locate a service bulletin on that ice room problem here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ttm0br5kmq8aj5p/ASC20140818002.pdf?dl=0

Jake

jools1976

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I took your advice and used a heat gun to thaw the built up ice enough to pull it off with little to no effort, then got the ice maker out. I noticed once it was removed that there was a rectangular opening behind, about 2" x 1/2", that was completely blocked with ice. I got that out too, cleaned up all the residual ice chips etc.. and put it back together. I left it for about 6 hours, and it didn't make any ice, so I unplugged the fridge for 10 minutes and plugged it back in, and after that, it worked like a charm. I did notice however that the fan made a vibrating noise for about a minute almost right away, but it stopped and hasn't made any noise since, and it's making ice with no excess water drip at all. It's been about 36 hours, so now I'll just have to see if it frosts over again over the next few days/weeks. Is it possible that the fan isn't running, and that's what's making it ice up? Thanks again buddy.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you hear the ice maker fan running?

I don't have any tech. data information to go one for this model.

Glad to hear its doing better, but if the problem comes back you may need to have a authorized Samsung tech come out to see what's going on.

Was that was tech that came out a authorized Samsung Tech?

Jake

jools1976

Premium Member
I don't hear a fan running... Should it be going all the time?

Yes the tech was put on to us through Samsung Customer Service.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks bigbuck!

There you go jools, now you have the service manual too.

Yes, the ice room fan should be running while the compressor and refrigerator fan are both running, if yours is not running look at page 81 to troubleshoot it.

Here's the ice maker compartment fan for your model you can order, if yours tests bad:
Samsung DA31-00070E Motor Dc-Box FAN;2606JL

Jake

jools1976

Premium Member
So 4 days later and the drip is back. I got into it again, and the fan seems to be running now, so either I was mistaken before, or it's an intermittent problem. What I have noticed, however is that there isn't a significant drip coming from the ice bucket dispenser itself (where the cubes are dispensed), but there is crushed ice/snow in the port that runs from the bucket out to the front of the fridge. I don't ever use the crushed ice feature, only cubed (but even if I did, you wouldn't think it would cause leaking...). Kind of ridiculous that a $5000+ fridge would be having issues at only 2 years.