• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Cannot remove bulkhead on Samsung gas dryer DV42H5200GW/A-3

UtterNovice

Premium Member
Model Number
DV42H5200GW/A
Brand
Samsung
Dryer powered on, but drum did not turn, and there was no noise. Found the disassembly videos on YouTube.

Got the top off and the belt was loose, so now I know it's a tension spring or idler pulley that needs to be replaced, based on what I've read online.

I can disassemble the dryer all the way to where I need to remove the bulkhead as you can see in the picture. I can't get the bulkhead to separate from the machine. I can lift it and move it, but it still feels like it's attached somewhere. I tried removing just a few more screws but nothing worked.

If I could get this disassembled, that would be great! We live in a condo, so we don't have a backyard to hang clothes to dry. It's been hangars on lines we've strung up between doors. Please help!!!

Also, should I just go ahead and order both the idler pulley and a new spring, or should I wait and get this fully disassembled as it could be another problem?

dryer.jpg

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

UtterNovice

Premium Member
I uploaded the wrong picture!

I removed the 5 screws plus a few more, yet the bulkhead did not want to seem to want to separate as easily as it appeared in the various videos.

I've tried pulling straight up, up and out, and straight out. It still feels like it's attached somewhere. In fact it feels like the whole drum will come out with the bulkhead.

Last edited:

jeff1

Staff member
Is the top silver panal off? The front clips into that.
The drum sits on rollers on the front bulk head. Maybe have someone left the front of the drum a little while you remove the front bulk head.

jeff.

UtterNovice

Premium Member
I have removed (along with disconnecting any wire harnesses):
  1. top panel
  2. Control Panel
  3. Front Panel
  4. Support Bracket
  5. 4 bulkhead screws
  6. Blower housing mounting screw
I basically have gotten to 2:32 of this video. I can't get the bulkhead to separate from the drum.

Right now the dryer is put back together as I don't have room in a 1300 sq ft condo to leave various dryer parts! I have ordered the parts you listed, but they won't be here until next week. Once they arrive I will retry disassembling the dryer.

Thanks for your help!

jeff1

Staff member
The 5 screws still appear to be installed in your pic
I removed the 5 screws plus a few more
The 4 on the side clips and the one down at the fan blower wheel?

I can't get the bulkhead to separate from the drum.
So pull them out together. Maybe the front wheels are seized to the drum? Maybe the drum cracked and is stuck on the wheels?

jeff.

jeff1

Staff member
I have no more ideas why your are incapable of removing the front.

Sorry!

jeff.

UtterNovice

Premium Member
All the parts, idler pulley and bracket, belt, tensioner spring, finally arrived.

Good news: I got the bulkhead off and found the idler pulley on the floor of the dryer as seen in the first thumbnail below. So, problem found!

Bad news: The screw securing the pulley bracket is either crossthreaded or has some kind of locknut on it I can't get to, so I can't get the screw out. The screw will not budge either way, left or right. Putting a little effort into trying to unscrew it resulted in the screwdriver head slipping a little. I backed off before completely stripping the screw slots. I can see little shavings where they started to strip, but it still looks good for now. I tried getting a picture of what may be the locknut but hard to get a good picture of it.

On top of that, as you can see in the last pic, the existing and new pulley brackets have different pulley bearing diameters and lengths, so I can't just take the idler pulley from the new bracket and put it on the existing one.

Is there any way I can get this screw out? Or should I just go ahead and order a new idler pulley? If so, does anyone know what the correct part number is for an idler pulley that will fit the existing bracket as shown in the last picture below?

problem.jpgpulley arm screw.jpgpulley arm.jpg

Last edited:

jeff1

Staff member
Spray the screw/bolt and let soak over night. Use something like a pair of vice-grips on the screw/bolt, try tightening it a bit first before trying to remove.

Newer versions of that idler pulley are different than the old one.

jeff.

UtterNovice

Premium Member
An overnight of Liquid Wrench and a good pair of pliers did the trick!

The new bracket, spring, and belt were installed, dryer reassembled, and is now drying clothes.

Thanks so much for the help!