• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

CFCP1RKBA SS GE Cafe Refrigerator - Icemaker stopped working

Csomerton54

Premium Member
Model Number
CFCP1RKBA SS
Brand
GE
Hello,

This is my first post, thanks for your patience if I don't provide all the information required.

We have a 6-7 year old GE Cafe (Model CFCP1RKBA SS) which has been working fine to this point, however the ice maker just stopped working. The ice cubes are not freezing. I've been troubleshooting it for a few days, here's what I've done:
1. Verified the water line to the icemaker wasn't frozen
2. Removed the icemaker and verified power to the plug
3. Removed the freezer fans to verify it was freely moving and that there was power to the plug
4. Removed and replaced the water filter
5. Reset the icemaker
6. Assessed the airflow to the two holes (only getting cold air on the bottom - this seems like the issue to me)
7. Verified the icemaker fork was free and functioning

Nothing fixed it, so I called a technician last week who recommended that I defrost the fridge, which I did over the weekend. When I started the fridge initially, I was getting airflow to the top hole so I thought it may be fixed, however it has since stopped and I’m only getting cold airflow to the bottom hole.

The technician who visited my house didn't seem overly competent/interested in fixing it. Any suggestions on where I go from here? Some other forums suggest replacing the board.

Appreciate your help.
Chris

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Csomerton54

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply, Rick. I was getting 12v on the plug when I removed the fan, however when I plugged the fan in it didn't automatically start. It needed a little help to get started.

Logical next step is to try replacing that fan, I've ordered one this morning. I'll reply on the results.

Thanks,
Chris

Csomerton54

Premium Member
Hey Rick. Installed the new fan, started working again but similarly needed some help to get started. When the fridge door is opened the fan cuts out sometimes, then can’t get started again. See video:

So still no luck. Is it the control board I wonder?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Check the voltage again. Your new motor might be bad. Bad new parts isn't as uncommon as you might think. If you got 12V and the fan is not working bad fan