• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED CFE29TSDCSS GE Refrigerator - Repair person stated we need a new redesigned GE duct tower assembly for $465

oldserverguy

Premium Member
Model Number
CFE29TSDCSS
Brand
GE
Our GE side-by-side CFE29TSDCSS S/N RA510930 had a working freezer, fresh food compartment that was about 60 degrees and a sound like a failing small motor bearing. The "CFO" made me call a repair person rather than attempting the repair myself. The tech took out the shelves and drawers and did a partial disassembly to determine the cause of the problem as well as running diagnostics from the panel. He stated that to fix the problem we needed a new redesigned "tower assembly" and another adjacent fan to the left at a total incremental cost of $465 for parts and labor. The "CFO" didn't want to buy a new frig right now so we agreed to the repair.

To keep the fresh food section cool we started using ice in a large plastic bin for a couple of days. But now we no longer need ice and the food section is at 37 degrees (verified by an analog thermostat} which is it's set point. What happened? Even more importantly was he correct about the new tower or was this a revenue enhancement solution? A quick reply would be appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
GE has had massive problems with the FRESH FOOD EVAPORATOR FAN MOTOR.

What is the serial number of this refrigerator?

If the refrigerator was made between (May 2014 - Mar 2015) with the serial range HD - FF the software must be updated by factory service or a Software Update Module WR98R882802 for proper performance.

Here's the evaporator fan motor for your model:
Evaporator Fan Motor WR60X26866

Jake

oldserverguy

Premium Member
The S/N is: RA510930 which isn't HD-FF.

Is the tower assembly rather than just the fan revenue enhancement? Competence? Etc.?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, per your serial number this refrigerator was made in August 2013.

I located a service bulletin on that FRESH FOOD FAN MOISTURE KIT, I'm attaching it below. That's all the information I have on it. I haven't needed to install this kit on any GE models in my area as of yet.

LINK->WR49X26666 Ff Fan Moisture Kit

Its priced at $177 so $465 is way too much to pay for it. We call that Highway Robbery here in the deserts of Western Arizona. LOL

Jake

Attachments

• WR49X26666 Fresh Food Fan Moisture Kit.pdf
    273.6 KB · Views: 163

oldserverguy

Premium Member
From start to finish his time was under 30 minutes as my wife had emptied the fresh food compartment (my time probably would have been +1 hour as I don't have a nifty steamer) . Attached is a side-by-side of the new tower fan (L) and the old tower fan (R). To me the "old" fan fits much better and the holder is stronger with more material. I doubt the new fan will be as efficient with the air spaces around it unless somehow that's a good idea but with the rubber mounting it might have somewhat less vibration. These look to be about the grade of servo fans that computer servers have and vibration isn't a major factor. No firmware update was required due to the serial number. Other than the redo of the fan housing I couldn't see any significant differences between the two tower assemblies. Similarly the evaporator cover assembly looked almost identical (not side-by but the old one is on the table and the new one is on the cooktop). Labor was $150 and I got charged "full" price for the parts which he said he buys from GE but the shipping labels show Marcone which is a supply house in Louisville. All-in-all not happy.

Really wished I would have just done this against the CFOs objections. Thanks for all the help. Over-and-out.

Attachments

• GE-CFE29TSDCSS-tower-new-old-fans.jpg
    GE-CFE29TSDCSS-tower-new-old-fans.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 39
  • GE-old-cover-assembly.jpg
    GE-old-cover-assembly.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 35
  • GE-new-cover-assembly.jpg
    GE-new-cover-assembly.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 38

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the update and the information you added.(y)

I have not installed this FRESH FOOD FAN MOISTURE KIT on any of my customers refrigerators as of yet in my area.

And I doubt I will ever need to mainly because Arizona is way to DRY to get moisture build up. LOL

I lived in Orlando, FL. from 1983-1984 and I remember how humid it was there in the summer. Every afternoon at 4:00 it would rain, then get sunny again. LOL

Jake