• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

CGS700P2M2S GE Cafe Range door window dirty

Rbeguelin

Premium Member
Model Number
CGS700P2M2S
Brand
GE
Hi,
We installed this range about six months ago and it has been great. We recently cooked up some chicken wings for one of the recent playoff football games. We got distracted .... and there was a fire in the oven. We doused the fire, and rescued the wings. I started cleaning the oven the next day. I pulled off the SS top rear vent grille and scrubbed it. Got it clean. Then I did a three hour self clean, and wiped down the oven after that. It was pretty clean at that point however I noticed that there are soot marks in between the glass of the oven door. Both the outside and inside of the glass is clean. I presume there are two pieces of glass that make up the oven door window. If that is the case and the soot from the fire got in between the two pieces of glass should I be concerned. Did the glass not seal properly? If there is another fire will this get worse, perhaps to the point of not seeing into the oven. Is this something I should call GE about?
The oven is still under the original warranty and I have an extended warranty as well.
Thanks for your help
Rob

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Rbeguelin said:
the soot from the fire got in between the two pieces of glass should I be concerned.

Only cosmetically. If you don't mind, it won't.

Did the glass not seal properly?

Oven doors are not sealed. Air gets sucked in through the bottom and exit at the top, thereby creating a chimney effect to help cool the outer glass.

If there is another fire will this get worse

It might. It might even get worse just from normal use.

Rbeguelin said:
should call GE about? The oven is still under the original warranty and I have an extended warranty as well.

Such an incident would not be covered under warranty nor extended warranty. Those cover "defects in material and workmanship". Improper use or the damage resulting from such would not be covered.

If you want to try to clean it, the bottom of the door may be open enough to fit a cleaning probe inside to clean any streaks. Otherwise the door would have to be disassembled to clean the inner parts, which as I said wouldn't usually be covered by warranty.

The door should be removable to work on it. Check the owner's manual for that procedure if you want to attempt cleaning it.

Dan O.

Rbeguelin

Premium Member
Thanks Dan,
How complicated is it to take the door apart. I am very handy just havent done anything like this before. Additionally, can someone tell I took the door apart and is so would that void the warranty?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Rbeguelin said:
How complicated is it to take the door apart.

Not overly so, no. Usually just multiple screws holding the 2 halves of the door together. You might be able to find some basic examples on YouTube.

Rbeguelin said:
can someone tell I took the door apart and is so would that void the warranty?

Not if it's put back together properly. It would only affect the minimal warranty on the cosmetics of the door and that isn't covered by warranty anyway. It wouldn't affect warranty on the rest of the range. It also wouldn't effect mechanical issues of the door like hinges, etc. unless your service damaged them in the process.

Do read the manual on how to properly remove the door from the range.

Dan O.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.