• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

CGS990SET1SS GE Cafe Range - Tri-Burner - Intermittent Igniting after "first" use

s10xtremenlow

Premium Member
Model Number
CGS990SET1SS
Brand
GE
I have a GE Cafe CGS990SET1SS range and the Tri-burner (front right) lights right away but if we turn it off and go to use it again after a short period of time it takes a very long time to light and I usually blow on it to get it to ignite. Seems to spark just fine, and doesn't appear dirty.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the right-front triple burner for your model below. You will need to remove that burner and soak it in baking soda and warm water for a couple hours, also clean those burner port holes with a old toothbrush while its soaking, that will clean all the ports holes spotless, especially the ones near the spark igniter.

Jake

s10xtremenlow

Premium Member
I tried to disassemble the top “hat” and one screw snapped right off. I’ve got it soaking with the hat still attached by the remaining two screws.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yea, GE uses cheap screws.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

s10xtremenlow

Premium Member
I left the burner in the baking soda/hot water overnight (refilling a few times) and scrubbed it good. Unfortunately, it hasn’t corrected the issue.

I’m having a hard time understanding why it only does it after it’s been lit and working and I turn it off and when i try to light it again it doesn’t work or takes forever.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then I'm puzzled too.

Hopefully another tech or member that's seen this problem can shed some light on it.

Jake