CGS990SET7SS GE Cafe Range lower oven randomly shuts off

Mike Mendoza

Premium Member
Model
CGS990SET7SS
Brand
GE
I purchased this range new about two years ago. It sat in my garage for over a year before it was installed. The lower oven never worked properly. When I set the temperature (350 or whatever), it will do the following:
  • beep and display the desired temp without the burner ever turning on
  • reaching the desired temp then shutting off with the time on the display like i never turned on the oven
  • after inputting desired temp and pressing start, it will display the time like I never turned the oven on
I replaced the main board but that did not help. There does not appear to be any flat spots on the oven seals.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Mike,

I've heard cordless phones, microwaves can interfere with it.

Do you have a cordless phone or microwave thats close to it?

I remember one in South Texas many years ago that did the same thing, we had like 5 techs. go out and even the manager, and still couldn't find out what was going on, the only thing we could assume was they had high voltage power lines that ran really close to their house that could have been causing it, but we could never confirm it.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
What's the part number of the ERC (main board) you replaced? Was it new? Is the lower oven gas?

Mike Mendoza

Premium Member
What's the part number of the ERC (main board) you replaced? Was it new? Is the lower oven gas?
ERC3HP is the part number and it is new part.

- - - Updated - - -

I will try to unplug the microwave to see if that makes a difference. The lower oven is duel fuel but i think mainly gas. The boiler might be electric.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
There should be a constant 120 VAC across L1 and N on the back of the control board (the terminals are marked). If the voltage is constant when the oven shuts off, you might have a defective new control.

Mike Mendoza

Premium Member
Well I think I solved the problem. I unplugged the microwave and that didn't work. I removed the back panel to check the ohm reading for several components. While the back was removed, I tested the oven and to my surprise, everything worked. I put everything back together and it did not work again. So, I removed the back panels again (there are two panels, one large and one small) and it worked. I installed the large pane and it still worked. After installing the small panel (lower left side of oven) it stopped working. Somehow, it seems that panel was pushing wires against the oven heating them and possibly crimping them. I installed this panel using only the top screws and not the two bottom ones. This allowed the wires to stay clear of the hot oven and prevented them from being crimped. All day testing, everything is still working fine.

While i was checking the ohms for everything, the bottom oven upper element registered 14 ohms. This element never seems to go on. I tried all settings and could not get it to go on. Only the lower gas one turns on. Is this normal. I tested this element and it never registered it was getting power at all settings?