Clothes remaining soaked after cycle

Micki Smallwood Clark

Premium Member
Model Number
LSQ9010LW0
Brand
Whirlpool
My Whirlpool washer has started failing to properly remove the water from the wash load. What's frustrating is that I can't seem to pinpoint the source of the problem to identify which part(s) to repair. I'd like to just replace the parts rather than purchase a new machine since we JUST purchased a new HVAC unit.

The pattern doesn't seem to depend upon any one thing in particular. It's happened to a very small load that only had three or four items. It's happened to larger, heavier loads with items like bath towels. But, it does not happen every time. Clearly, the washer has the capability to drain, or it would happen every time.

We traditionally use the regular cycle, and depending on what I'm washing, hot or cold water. The pattern does not seem to discriminate and favor one temperature over the other.

In case it was the timer, I have switched over to using the Casual/Permanent Press cycle, although it's done the same thing (just not with the same amount of regularity).

I would make a service call to a technician, but my husband has enough mechanical skill that if I can locate him a part/part number, I'm sure we could fix the machine ourselves and save the money. I just can't figure out what's going on to be able to isolate the problem enough to choose a part TO order, not to mention that Whirlpool does not seem to carry information for this washer on their site (although I do have the original documentation that came with the washer).

Thoughts?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Micki Smallwood Clark

Premium Member
I am fairly confident that it is draining. There is no standing water in the tub after the end of the cycle on any wash (normal outcomes and even the ones that have the soaking wet clothes). When I do have a load that comes out sopping, the water that I wring out does not stand in the tub but runs out of the drain holes and none is left in the bottom.

When this first started happening a few weeks ago, I ran a load with just a single bath towel and I made it a point to open the lid several times to check what was going on. The agitator works just fine during the wash cycle--I can check that with the lid open or closed.

What I'm not sure about is what's happening with the spin. It has the capability of spinning, because as I've said, not every load is coming out drowned. I can hear it spinning. When I open the lid, the tub has clearly been spinning, because I can see it stop and the clothing is cast to the side of the tub instead of being around the agitator.

What I *suspect* is happening is that the spin cycle is either not starting properly (meaning the clothes aren't spun enough) or that it's not spinning fast enough, but I'm not sure how to confirm either of those suspicions.

There does seem to be a bit of a delay between the end of the previous cycle and the beginning of the spin cycle, accompanied by a "humming" or "buzzing" sound, and that's what made me think it was perhaps the timer not making the cycle start correctly.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I am fairly confident that it is draining
Good.

A poor/slow or no spin is oftne a weak clutch or ground out drive block....
LINK> Direct Drive Washer Not Spinning | Appliance Aid

Those would be a good place to start.

There does seem to be a bit of a delay between the end of the previous cycle and the beginning of the spin cycle, accompanied by a "humming" or "buzzing" sound, and that's what made me think it was perhaps the timer not making the cycle start correctly.
Generally we eliminate other common items first and if they check ok we would suspect the timer then.

jeff.