• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Coldspot Refrigerator 106.9730610 - not cold enough

sleepyvinny

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi,

My wife and I inherited a Kenmore Coldspot model 106.9730610 (March 1993) when we purchased our new house. I have thermometers in the fridge and freezer, both of which are not reading cold enough (fridge is ~45 degrees, freezer is ~5-10 degrees).

I thawed out the entire fridge and replaced the defrost timer, because I thought from reading previous forum posts, that was the issue.

What I realized, is that the defrost timer actually works, but I have to manually crank it every 8-10 hours. I suspect that the previous owner did some funny business with the wiring of the fridge, which is causing the defrost timer to not automatically run and thus causing the temperature issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Happy to send pictures if needed.

Thanks!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If the timer is not advancing by itself, either the wrong timer was installed, the timer is defective or it wasn't wired correctly when it was put in.

This is the timer that can be adapted for the different wiring needs.

LINK > Whirlpool Adaptable Wiring Defrost Timer

I've also included its instruction sheet (which should also come with the timer when you buy it) in PDF format. Someone will have to look at the wiring diagram on the fridge to determine which way the timer needs to be wired to work on that model.

Dan O.

Attachments

• timer_wiring.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:

sleepyvinny

Premium Member
Dan,

Thank you for your reply and sharing the link to the new part along with the wiring PDF. I will unplug the fridge today and take pictures of the current wiring, so we know exactly what's wrong.

Best,
Vinny

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I doubt photos will help to determine what the wiring should be. Compare the PDF to the fridge's wiring diagram to try to determine the correct timer wiring.

Dan O.

sleepyvinny

Premium Member
Hi Dan,

I took apart the fridge and freezer. When I plugged it back in with it set to cold, the red fan (pictured) was not working.

I’m not sure if that’s a mechanical issue, wiring issue, or a combination of both.

Attached are photos to help try and figure out what’s going on. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Vinny

5A902802-C293-432D-8E8A-DC15038B69C0.jpeg 21695673-4197-491E-BDBA-B788AF475196.jpeg 035F248B-31DD-43D7-B48E-81DD80421EDE.jpeg 356CC80A-1045-4FA2-95C7-FA40814D7DDF.jpeg 0036F022-F9DA-4DFF-8BF8-845909AD8F86.jpeg

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
sleepyvinny said:
When I plugged it back in with it set to cold, the red fan (pictured) was not working.

The fans and compressor operate together, at the same time. If both don't operate, either the thermostat or defrost timer could be the reason.

If just the fan doesn't run when the compressor IS running, the motor itself or power to it, could be the reason.

As I said, photos aren't going to help find the cause.

Dan O.

sleepyvinny

Premium Member
The fan doesn’t run when the compressor is running; I’m 99% sure that’s the issue.

I provided the photos, because it looks like even with a new defrost timer, there’s a wiring configuration (spare pink/brown wire to nowhere) in the fridge that doesn’t make sense.

I’m not sure if the fan is getting power to it, because of the way the fridge is wired, or if there’s a way to figure out how to rewire it.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
there’s a wiring configuration (spare pink/brown wire to nowhere) in the fridge that doesn’t make sense.

There's no way to tell that by looking at pictures. Someone will have to look at the wiring diagram of the refrigerator. If you're lucky it might be pasted to the rear of the cabinet. Otherwise it might be rolled up inside the kickplate or in an envelope taped to the underside of the cabinet... If it wasn't removed previously.

I’m not sure if the fan is getting power to it, because of the way the fridge is wired,

it should be possible test for voltage at the wires that connect to the motor.

Dan O.