• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Comfort=Aire Model RADS-183G

opcartmell

Premium Member
Model Number
RADS-183G
Brand
-major brand-
This is a through-the-wall installation of a Comfort-Aire 18000 BTU system. The compressor runs when the unit is turned off resulting in a frozen evaporator. I believe this is caused by a bad component on the control board or the thermistor (sp) reading the evaporator input air. Also, can't find any manuals on removal and repair of the unit. All help is appreciated.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
opcartmell said:
the thermistor (sp) reading the evaporator input air
If that were the case the motor would likely run too. Is it?

opcartmell said:
I believe this is caused by a bad component on the control board
I think that is very likely.

opcartmell said:
can't find any manuals on removal and repair of the unit.
I have no idea where you'll find that either but I doubt disassembly would be very difficult to figure out just by looking at how it is put together.

Dan O.

opcartmell

Premium Member
In reply to your question: no the fan motor isn't running, only the compressor. However, since several other similar threads mentioned a stuck relay we just smacked the side of the case next to the control panel with a substantial blow and the unit resumed cooling without freezing. So, we're pretty sure it's a bad or marginal circuit board. Going to wait a few days before making a final call on whether to repair now or later. Thanks.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If only the compressor is running, than the control has to be responsible. Quite possibly a 'sticking' relay on the electronic control.

Dan O.