Complete Ice Maker Assembly - For In-Door Ice Models

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Complete icemaker assembly (8 cube) - This icemaker is for 25-27 cubic feet models that have vertical auger dispenser installed in the freezer door. 8 cube icemaker(Video Included).
2198597 Complete Icemaker Assembly (8 Cube)

5 cube ice maker:
WPW10190961 Icemaker assembly, For In-Door Ice models.

Here's the instructions TO change the ice maker assembly:

1. Remove the bucket from the door to get some room.

2. Put a piece of tape on the sensor flapper to hold it down so you won't damage it while removing the ice maker.

3. Remove the ice maker service cover door by spreading the two hinge fingers apart away from the center and the door should lift out of the slot.

4. Remove the screw in the right rear bottom side of the ice maker.

5. After removing the screw that cover should lift up from the rear and just work it out from the rear and you see the electrical harness.

6. On the left track the should be a tab toward the bottom which you need to push up.

7. Push up tab and start working the ice maker towards you pulling it out of the track.

8. Careful with the electrical harness in the back as you're pulling out.

9. Disconnect the electrical plug by lifting the clip on the plug.

10. Remove the side cover on the side module by pulling off.

11. Remove the bottom shield by removing the 3 screws on the bottom.

12. To install reverse the order as it came out.

Courtesy of speedemon

To change just the Ice Maker Module:

1. Remove the bucket from the door to get some room.

2. Put a piece of tape on the sensor flapper to hold it down so you won't damage it while removing the ice maker.

3. Remove the ice maker service cover door by spreading the two hinge fingers apart away from the center and the door should lift out of the slot.

4. Remove the screw in the right rear bottom side of the ice maker.

5. After removing the screw that cover should lift up from the rear and just work it out from the rear and you see the electrical harness.

6. On the left track the should be a tab toward the bottom which you need to push up.

7. Push up tab and start working the ice maker towards you pulling it out of the track.

8. Careful with the electrical harness in the back as you're pulling out.

9. Disconnect the electrical plug by lifting the clip on the plug.

10. Remove the side cover on the side module by pulling off.

11. Remove the bottom shield by removing the 3 screws on the bottom.

12. Remove the 3 screws on the ice maker module, then pull the module off.

13. Remove the 2 screws that hold the head assembly onto the ice maker mold tray, then pull the ice maker head off the ice maker mold tray, then you can remove the ejector arm and stripper.

14. To install reverse the order as it came out.

Jake

Mmoskwinski1

Premium Member
Have a Kenmore side-by-side refrigerator freezer water and ice dispenser on the left side icemaker stopped making ice did some test by reading your post determined after testing and jumping some terminal it was the icemaker, before he got a new icemaker two days later the water was flowing out when we woke up one morning all inside the freezer and on the kitchen floor like something is stuck open at some point I ordered the icemaker received it and put it in icemaker still doesnt work I check the valve it seemed to be OK to check the on off switch and sensor on the left door open light flashes like normal in two seconds on the 2 flashers off to flashes and so on hold the left flap closed late is on steady, holding left flap and holding upper light switch light goes off I need help wife's getting upset I don't know if there's a the water valve is bad I did check it isnot cloggged I have good water flow nothing is plugged resistance on the coils of the water valve tested OK. Is the on off switch bad? Left flap switch or light switch bad? Please help thank you

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Whats the model number of your refrigerator?

The model number tag is inside the refrigerator section on the right side upper wall.

When the water was pouring out, how did you stop it?

Jake

Mmoskwinski1

Premium Member
Model is a 106.56536400 and the water started during the night on its own and stopped on its own sometime during the night like it started on its own.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

What position is the ice maker ejector fingers pointing? At you? down in the tray? Straight up?

Normal would be pointing at you or slightly above you. If yours is not, then its your ice maker that's bad. And if you just replaced it, you got a defective one.

Here's the ice maker for your model, see how the ejector arm fingers should be pointing right at you?
Ice Maker Assembly 2198597

Jake

Mmoskwinski1

Premium Member
They are pointing and me and a little slight up. So this is ok. Is the red light supposed to go off when the left flap is held and the light switch is depressed? This is what mine does? Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is the red light supposed to go off when the left flap is held and the light switch is depressed?
Yes, that's normal.

Lets try to force a cycle.

To force cycle the ice-maker, remove the cover over the ice maker module and locate holes “T” and “H”. Take a small piece of wire bent in the shape of a U and short “T” and “H” together. The ice-maker will start the harvest cycle. Wait about 10 seconds and remove wire. The Ice maker will continue through the cycle. At the end of the harvest cycle the ice-maker supplies the coil on the water valve with 120 VAC.
NOTE: If your refrigerator uses the Optics, you’ll also have to tape the emitter flap back and not block the space between the emitter and receiver. You will also need to hold the light switch in until the ice maker starts then remove the wire. Close the freezer door.
IDI 01.jpg

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good, yes keep us posted.

Jake

Mmoskwinski1

Premium Member
Nothing happened at all with the ice maker but if I read the attachment correctly it was blinking a code 2 meaning the optics are defective? Does that mean both the left optic and the optic in the right with the switch need to be replaced? Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Step#1: Open the freezer and view the status led

(STATUS LED)

2 BLINKS FOLLOWED BY 1 SEC. DELAY(REPEATED)

POSSIBLE CAUSES: The flapper door on the emitter is blocking the beam or the optics are faultly.

Step#2: Press the emitter flapper to unblock the optics beam

(STATUS LED)

2 BLINKS FOLLOWED BY 1 SEC. DELAY(REPEATED)

POSSIBLE CAUSES: The optics are faulty. Replace the emitter and receiver boards.

If the LED is on steady: The optics are working properly.

Here are the boards you can order, they come together in 1 kit with instructions and(Video Included):
W10757851 Ice Level Power Control Board Kit

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like a plan.:)

Jake

Mmoskwinski1

Premium Member
I finally received and installed the new optic boards. The only thing that happened was that the fingers moved from pointing to me to pointing to the back of the refrigerator. I held the left flap down and taped the light switch down and now it flashes 1second on and 1 off continuously so what's going on? So Frustrated help again please

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The only thing that happened was that the fingers moved from pointing to me to pointing to the back of the refrigerator.
You have a bad ice maker since it did that.

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order:
Ice Maker Assembly 2198597

Jake

Mmoskwinski1

Premium Member
That was the first item I replaced. So I got a defective new one? That it is not turning on the water valve ?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it sounds like a defective ice maker, where did you get it?

Do the cheater test cord check on your water inlet valve: Testing ice maker water supply at the solenoid

To make sure your water inlet valve is working good.

Jake

Mmoskwinski1

Premium Member
We have a friend that works at at whirlpool in st. Joe, Michigan. I will do the water valve test again and get back with you

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The ice maker was free from your friend? Was it used?

Yes, if the water inlet valve is good, then its definitely a detective ice maker, that's all it can be.

Jake