Compressor “worth it” to repair?

Maris61

Premium Member
Model Number
PBF2255HES
Brand
Maytag
I got a quote on replacing a compressor for a Maytag Performa--22 Cu. Ft. total, with bottom freezer, model PBF2255HES. The unit was purchased circa 2005 and in use for approx. 6 years before it was moved to storage for the last 4 years. (The quote was about 550 in all, including labor, and the repair service is one of the best reviewed & longest practicing ones in my area.) Now I will refrain from asking about price comparisons, whether this price was “fair,” etc., as I realize those questions are usually against forum rules on a site like this. . . . In light of relative costs of a new refrigerator, however, I am interested in hearing opinions--if other folks think that this is generally worth the trouble or not???

Also, I don’t recall any official warranty on part/labor being offered with that above quote, though I’d certainly hope for some kind of minimal 1 yr. warranty at least. . . .

Thanks for any feedback!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Lets back up a little bit, how do you know the compressor is shot? Did that repair company test it and also test the compressor start relay?

Did you see them test both?

I've seen some repair companies say the compressor is shot but its only the compressor start relay that's shot.

If they did test both and made sure you had proper voltage to the compressor start relay, then yes I'd have them install a new compressor, Normal compressor warranty should be 1 year on the compressor and 90 days labor.

Jake

Maris61

Premium Member
Sorry for the very belated reply--I'd mistakenly thought I'd replied already--and thank you for the help. Yes, it was the compressor after all (and he had run those tests to confirm).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, what I tell my customers is if the appliance is at about 10 years old or older its best to save your money for a new refrigerator, as other parts are normally wearing as well, and its just a matter of time till your replacing more parts on it.

The average life of refrigerators is only 8-12 years now.

Jake