• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Compressor Kicks Off After 5 Seconds

lawyerjim

Premium Member
Model Number
IDW G8
Brand
I have an IDW G8 refrigerator. It has been cooling fine but now the compressor kicks on, runs 5 seconds, then kicks off. The fluorescent lights continue to burn and the evaporator and condenser fans continue to run.

The compressor is a Kulthorn AZA 0413YK-1. Date 12/2008.

I do not have a multimeter but might could borrow one.

By the way, I use it to ferment beer and use a Johnson Controls Digital Temperature Controller with the controller set at 60F to 70F.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm not familiar with this IDW brand, but I assume its this one: IDW G-8 One Door Merchandiser - Used Vending Machines - Home

When other brands I'm familiar with like Whirlpool, Frigidaire do what yours is doing that's a sign the compressor has gone out.

Hopefully another tech that's familiar with this IDW brand can help you shed more light on this problem.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Got it!

If I at least had a parts diagram for this model I could help a bit more, but since I don't all I can do is assume it has a compressor start relay mounted on the side of the compressor, and usually when those go bad the compressor can't start at all.

When I worked at Sears we had some Amana models that did this same thing, the compressor would start and run 5 seconds then shut down, and do that continually, and that meant the compressor internally went bad. I've changed a lot of compressors on those and it always solved the problem.

But having a compressor replaced is very expensive, compressors can range from $200-$300, then labor is about $200, its a huge job to do that involves welding.

Jake

Jerod24

Premium Member
I have a complete cooling system for sale for the g8. I would also be interested in trading my working cooling system for the shelves that came out of your g8 along with the front cover that goes under the door. Let me know if you still need parts.