Compressor Questions - 1951 Crosley Shelvador

thebigjoe1

Premium Member
All,

I have some general questions, as i dont know any better. I have finished restoring my refrigerator to the best of my non professional abilities, and everything looks as good as as it can, and seems to function properly. Fridge gets cold, freezer freezes.

My questions deal with the compressor. I timed that about every 15 min, the compressors turns itself on, and runs for about 5 min. This process continues like clockwork. When the fridge was empty this was the case (and may have been somewhat expected), and now that it is full with a variety of beverages it acts no different. The only difference i noted was that i needed to turn up the dial just a bit to maintain the temperature i wanted in the fridge when full. Is this normal for fridges of this time period? Is there some thermostat that is built in that can tell when the compressor should kick in as in modern fridges? I have completely replaced the gasket with a brand new one, and even applied some Petroleum Jelly to it, for a nice seal.

My other question regards the freezer. It gets between 2-4 degrees, never 0. Its completely empty at the moment. I assume if i tick the dial up from 6 to lets say 10 (the highest it goes) it may reach 0 or below, but im not looking for it to frost up. It has a very very thin layer of frost now, which i am fine with. I dont want to tick the dial up, even though i can test, because the temperature in the fridge is already perfect. Is 2-4 ok for storing things, or should it be at 0 or below?

My final question is the volume of the noise the compressor makes when it kicks on. Its definitely not very loud or deafening, but you can hear it in the next room. Again, not quiet like today fridges, and i dont expect it to be, but curious if this is the norm for fridges of this period or possibly for its age.

Let me know your thoughts, and thank you all in advance.

Thanks!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
now that it is full with a variety of beverages it acts no different. The only difference i noted was that i needed to turn up the dial just a bit to maintain the temperature i wanted in the fridge when full.

It will need to run longer to cool more provisions. To cool more requires it to run longer.

Don't concern yourself with run times, but instead the food/drink temperatures maintained. It will run as long as it needs to achieve the dail setting.

assume if i tick the dial up from 6 to lets say 10 (the highest it goes) it may reach 0 or below,

It might (but not necessarily). It will however also make the rest of the refrigerator colder at the same time.

but im not looking for it to frost up.

Frosting is a result of humid air entering the cabinet every time it is opened, not temperature. Wait until the summer comes and the door is opened more often and the air more humid.

curious if this is the norm for fridges of this period or possibly for its age.

As I can't hear the sound I couldn't say if it was normal or not. Old appliances of any type tend to be louder. The only thing that might be done to quiet compressor sounds is to replace its rubber mounts... which is not always possible once the compressor is installed.

Dan O.

Last edited:

thebigjoe1

Premium Member
Dan,

I have uploaded a video so you and everyone else can hear the sound of the compressor.

Regards

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The sound isn't very loud in the video. From what I can hear, it doesn't sound unusual for an older refrigerator.

If the sound is coming from the compressor there's not a lot that can be done about it regardless, except replace the compressor ($$$+)

thebigjoe1

Premium Member
I'm glad it's not unusual. It's definitely from the compressor. It works , it's not really annoying, and I don't need to spend more money :)

Last question,

After the compressor shuts off I can hear bubbling inside the refrigerator, I'd assume in the refrigerant lines. I take this is normal?