• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Compressor runs for 5 seconds

nadiao

Premium Member
Hi. I have a 3 year old Kenmore s by side. It is not cooling. At first the freezer stopped holding ice, then the refrigerator stopped cooling, too. I cleaned a blanket of dust off the front coil. I opened the back cardboard cover and cleaned off the back coils which were not as dusty. I can not reach the middle coil but it is not too dirty. The compressor runs for 5 seconds every 4 or 5 minutes and clicks off. The fan runs all the time. I put about 18 lbs of ice in the bottom drawer in the refrig this am and still have most of it. What should I do next? Thanks

jmshaffer

Appliance Tech
Compressor is tripping on overload. You may just need the overload and relay replaced due to a bad compressor relay. The relay is what switches the compressor from it's start winding to it's run winding. If you pull the relay off, shake it to see if you hear lots of rattling inside, that's a sure sign of a bad relay.

If the relay seems ok, your compressor may be bad. ie, locked rotor or some other internal failure.

nadiao

Premium Member
Checked relay

Hi.

Thanks for the info. My husband pulled the relay off the side of the compressor. He shook the relay. It does not rattle too much, not like pieces loose, just a small noise like something is moving. What next? Do you know the compressor warranty on these Kenmores? Should I leave the fridge unplugged? Call in service?

Thanks again
Nadia

Last edited:

jmshaffer

Appliance Tech
Ok, it doesn't mean the relay is good though. Rattling is just a sign it's bad.

Warranty for a compressor is Five years. They should cover the repair fully at no cost to you (check your manual to make sure). If you guys have a local appliance shop nearby, you can take the relay in to have them check it with a ohm meter. What's the first three numbers of the model number. I can tell you what you need most likely with that info...LOL Does the compressor have the word EMBRACO on it?

nadiao

Premium Member
Embraco

Hi Yes the compressor is Ebraco EGZ 80HLP

I do not know the model number of the fridge. I can not find it on the machine.

Should I leave the machine unplugged?

You think they will cover the labor too or just the compressor?

Thanks

Nadia

jmshaffer

Appliance Tech
Model number is on a small white tag located inside your fresh food section, most likely on the inside ceiling or side of the interior. Find it, and if it starts with 253.xxxxxxxx you'll need a compressor guaranteed. Call Sears at 1 800 4 MY HOME as they are the only ones who can provide warranty service for a Kenmore product. Labor and Compressor should be covered 100%, once again, check your owners manual or call that number to be sure.

Word of wisdom, put relay and panel on exactly as you've found it and make no mention of taking it off. I have a long story regarding a sears tech who totally tried to screw a customer because I (as an independent servicer) took the relay off to test to verify a bad compressor, and they tried to void the warranty because they considered me an unauthorized tech. Funny thing is, I helped train the tech who tried to void their warranty. Uh oh, my blood is boiling again. Obviously, I'm here trying to help folks out, and I get peeved when some service guys make a bad name for the good ones out there...(breathe Justin) I ended up taking care of the customer by pulling some strings on my end. I used to work for Sears and know what they try to pull sometimes. I'm not trying to scare you, just be forewarned. The manual will say that unauthorized persons working on equipment will void their warranty, so be careful what information you offer. I hate Sears, their lack of ethics and their lack of customer care.

If your model is a 253.xxxxxxx It was built for Kenmore by Frigidaire. Out of 100 compressors I replace, 90 of them are Frigidaire built units. I don't know why, but I think they may have a moisture issue at their manufacturing plant or some other contaminants are getting into the sealed system. Other manufacturers use Embraco compressors without near the failure rate I've seen, so I have to believe it's a quality issue during manufacture. Sorry for all the info, just believe honesty is best policy. After replacement, units seem to run fine without failure for years and years. I would say unplug unit, but sometimes a compressor will start back up mysteriously if left to cool down long enough. Then a tech may think nothing's wrong and walk out. If you can get a tech out in a day or two, let it plugged in so you can have it occuring as he walks in door. Hope I've helped. Make sure you check that model number...if the tag is missing or torn off, warranty is automatically void.

nadiao

Premium Member
Thanks Justin

Hi, I found the model number it is intact. I replaced the relay, back panel, etc. Plugged her in. Nothing different. I will call for a warranty repair.

Thanks for all your help.

Nadia :rolleyes:

mitsfinmgr

Premium Member
Hi, new here and our frigidiare side by side is doing the same thing. 1st it was the ice then it was not cooling. The fan is also running. Not much dust at all no where enough to make it not cool (imo)
It's about 2yrs old also. We could use some help finding the right compressor to replace it with. Assuming thats whats wrong with it, the relay is getting hot and thats whats making the compressor cycle is when the relay cools down it resets it self turning on the compressor on again ie: runs for 5 seconds (relay over heats and trips)
? can the relay be bad and over heating or is the compressor drawling way to much amperage causing the relay to trip
The model # is missing so no warranty :(
What can I do about a model # so I get the right compressor, or can I rebuild the one I have.Or do they sell rebuilt ones. I am by no meens a appliance repair man but I did work as a gm tech with a/c sytems so I know enough to prolly get myself into trouble. lol

The compressor # is embraco EGZ 80HLP. On a earlier post, maybe I missunderstood you, but is the Embraco compressors better. I don't want to buy a relay if I don't have to (closest place is 25 miles each way). Also, if this isn't a good compressor, what would be the replacement for it?
Thanks for all your help !!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yea, its definitely your compressor thats bad, and without a model# its not likely you'll be able to match one up.

By law you can't change your own compressor without a refrigerant license, due to EPA laws.

You would also need a turbo-torch to weld the copper and steal tubing lines, etc.

This is something I don't recommend someone doing without prior knowledge.

I know you said you did work as a gm tech with a/c systems, but its a whole different ballgame with refrigerator sealed systems.:)

Jake

mitsfinmgr

Premium Member
So with no model # I'm basicly shite out of luck. Or can I pay someone to try and match one up. The fridge is only 2yrs old :(
I can take pics of the compressor can you tell then?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You can take those numbers that you got off the compressor and go to your local appliance parts in your area and see if they can match it up.

What city are you in?

Jake

mitsfinmgr

Premium Member
You can take those numbers that you got off the compressor and go to your local appliance parts in your area and see if they can match it up.

What city are you in?

Jake

We are in the Ft Myers, Fl area.
Can we pay a licenced repairman to fix it? The fridge was a $1700.00 fridge when we got it, and with it only being 2yrs old I would expect it to be a familiar site for someone that works in the field, such as yourself. If I'm able to find such person, what would someone expect to pay to have this problem resolved?
I understand that the systems are different and I'm not going to try to attempt it myself. Sometimes with the help of the forums like this it makes doing things yourself a lot easer.

Pics of the fridge and compressor would not be a problem, if it helps us in saving money on the compressor so we get the right one.
Would it be too much to ask a repairman to install our compressor so we can get it as cheep as possible?

Thanks again for all your help :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I understand, Yes, its possible to pay a appliance repair person to install the new compressor, the average cost with parts and labor runs about $400-$600.

Why don't you go to your local appliance parts store and see if they can match it up first, then ask them if they know of a good appliance repair shop that will install it.

Here's one in your area:
<TABLE style="MARGIN: 1em 0px 2px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> <TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 12px" vAlign=top>All Appliance Parts: Fort Myers Main Location

[SIZE=-1]www.allapplianceparts.net

14508 S Tamiami Trl
Fort Myers, FL 33912
(239) 481-8711
Get directions

More information »[/SIZE]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Jake